Air Conditioning Stuck "on"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MeatBag

Reaction score
Hi all,

I hope someone can help me troubleshoot a recent development with our 03 Liberty 3.7.

As of last week, even when set to non-A/C positions on the climate controls, it blows A/C cold.

If I set the temp control to the red zone it does get warm but putting it to a blue zone blows A/C.

Of course before this I used to get outside air temp only, as expected.

Is there a quick fix to the climate controls needed, or is this indicative of a deeper (and more expensive) problem?

Thanks for your help!

MeatBag

Reaction score
Thanks ML but I don't have an A/C button... it's the dial type selector where 3 of the positions are A/C and the rest aren't.

edit: the control looks like this one:
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, in my '02 the A/C is active in both full defrost and defrost/floor mix. The only settings in which the A/C should NOT activate are floor, panel, and floor/panel mix.

Here's my question. Is your A/C a factory option, or dealer-added option?

Good luck,
Andy

MeatBag

Reaction score
FYI, in my '02 the A/C is active in both full defrost and defrost/floor mix. The only settings in which the A/C should NOT activate are floor, panel, and floor/panel mix.

Here's my question. Is your A/C a factory option, or dealer-added option?

Good luck,
Andy

Hi Andy and thanks for your help.

It's a factory option.

Since I run full defrost most of the time, I only noticed this "new" behaviour a few weeks ago - contrary to your experience, I've not had A/C come on full defrost mode before now. I'll check the manual too but I thought only the A/C modes on the dial were A/C, and not the rest.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Andy and thanks for your help.

It's a factory option.

Since I run full defrost most of the time, I only noticed this "new" behaviour a few weeks ago - contrary to your experience, I've not had A/C come on full defrost mode before now. I'll check the manual too but I thought only the A/C modes on the dial were A/C, and not the rest.

The A/C WILL run in either the floor/defrost or the pure defrost positions. On the 05+ libertys it also runs in the floor positions.

Besides directing the air towards the glass, the defrost drys the air out to remove condensation on the glass. It just so happens that when the A/C runs it not only cools the air but it also drys the air.

This is NOT an option and it works that way on every car that has A/C.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to pile on Meatbag, but in your picture, you've got it in defrost. Compressor runs in defrost mode- unlike old American cars. Ultimately, you have:

Recycle: Compressor
Air Condition Vent: compressor
Air Condition Vent/Floor: Compressor
Vent/Floor: No compressor
Vent: No compressor
Deforst/Floor(?): Compressor
Defrost: Compressor

Basically, the compressor runs for almost everything. This comes up repeatedly on Jeep forums, and many times, people will suddenly notice after years of driving their Liberty. Some people wonder why this is. For those of us who live in high moisture/high humidity climates, it's the only effective way of truly defogging the glass.