Air conditioning condenser question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The air conditioning in my wife’s O2 liberty does not work, and we are never going to pay to have it fixed. I currently have the radiator removed to replace it. Can I take the condenser out and get rid of it? I want to make it easier to replace the radiator. I don’t know if it will hurt anything if the condenser is removed.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't say 1000% it would not affect the liberty, but I can't imagine anything jeep would put in that would affect the drivability of it. The ac system lines will be now exposed to the elements and possibly corrode long term should be the only negative of it.

If you do end up going for it, find the low side port, put something to press the schrader valve down, and wrap a rag around the shank when pressing incase there is any charge left in the system. That way there's no surprises when popping open the fittings at the condenser.

Given your compressor and other parts are working on it as intended and you don't want pay a shop for the ac, you could leave the condenser, empty the system via the low port, fill with 2 small cans of r134a and see how long it runs for depending how bad of a leak you have. They sell ones with dye in them that you could spot the leak with uv light, and sometimes is a simple as an o-ring needing replaced. I've had a redneck recharge last for years on a nissan of mine.

*As a liability disclamier this is for offroad use only, and normal systems should be held under a vacuum to evaporate any moisture, and filled with the proper amount of refregerant per vehicle specs.

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I hope it wont hurt anything, but I took out the AC condenser out. Sure made installing the radiator easier.