Air condition compressor going bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wakko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While driving my wife's '07 Liberty the other day at about 80 with the air on, every 12 seconds the compressor would cycle and the belt would squeal. I've notice it doing it periodically in the past, but this was very consistent. I checked the belt, which is original, and it has no cracks. Jeep has 30k miles on it. The compressor clutch has a thick goo spraying out from the outer seam, but I don't know how old/active it is.

She's got an extended warranty on it, so if the compressor is going out I want to be able to argue the point with the dealer. I also don't want the compressor to lock up and snap the belt, leaving her stranded. I was thinking of replacing the belt even though it looks good, just so the dealer can't say "It's just a bad belt!"

Any insight, guys? Thanks alot.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not too sure on that...possibly the A/C clutch is going bad? Also, could be your tensioner arm needs replaced (if the spring is getting weak, it won't hold enough tension on the belt.)

Wakko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, I didn't think about the tensioner. Any way to test that? We have either a $50 or a $100 deductible, not to mention the difficulty in bringing it in to the dealership, so I'm hoping to go in once and get it fixed up right.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like that AC compressor clutch is coming apart. The bearings start to get sloppy, and the goo you see is actually clutch material.

30k on a five year old Jeep, wow! Does it have moss growing on it?

Wakko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heh, not anymore it doesn't. The wife always wanted a Jeep, so when the Saturn started getting a bit rough around the edges we started looking. Finance company said '07 or newer, she doesn't like the newer body style, and she loves dark green, so we searched for an '07 dark green Liberty. Found one an hour away with 8k miles on it. 3/4 windows have dropped (fixed under "recall") but other than that, no problems with it and she loves it. I use it to haul my motorcycles around in a 14 foot trailer.

And yes, the clutch is gooey...good word. :)

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like that AC compressor clutch is coming apart. The bearings start to get sloppy, and the goo you see is actually clutch material.

30k on a five year old Jeep, wow! Does it have moss growing on it?

Hey I got 40K on my 2006 KJ. Having a Company vehicle pays off :-D

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't think about the tensioner. Any way to analyze that? We have either a $50 or a $100 insurance deductible amount, in addition to the problems in providing it in to the store, so I'm expecting to go in once and get it set up right

If there is solidified goop around the clutch it is not the tensioner.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These belts don't crack either. They wear like a tire. If you have only 30K on it the belt is fine, unless a seized compressor clutch wore it badly.

djta11

Reaction score
I just had the same issue a few weeks ago. Ended up getting a replacement bearing at Autozone for $22. It's completely possible to replace this yourself if you're a little handy but you should take care of this soon. If you don't, you could ruin the nose of the compressor and that's some serious cash...

I've got a breakdown if you're interested. Hell, I've been meaning to finally contribute to the site so I may just make a How To tomorrow with some pictures and tools required.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
These belts don't crack either. They wear like a tire. If you have only 30K on it the belt is fine, unless a seized compressor clutch wore it badly.

All forms of plastic and rubber crack...no exception.

More belts are no good because of age than mileage...ThunderbirdJunkie did not replace his belt until 120k miles.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you're the king of crack then, because I've never had a EPDM belt crack.

Here's another post about the same arguement.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/serpentine-belt-cracking-45457/

The belt in his pic doesn't even look like EPDM. It says EPDM but it looks cheap. I have my old belt hanging in my garage with 65K on it. It looks like new, with no cracks. I'm saving it for a rainy belt day.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Well, you're the king of crack then, because I've never had a EPDM belt crack.

Here's another post about the same arguement.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/serpentine-belt-cracking-45457/

The belt in his pic doesn't even look like EPDM. It says EPDM but it looks cheap. I have my old belt hanging in my garage with 65K on it. It looks like new, with no cracks. I'm saving it for a rainy belt day.

Seriously, dude? YOUR GATES LINK EVEN SHOWS A CRACKED EPDM BELT! Like ThunderbirdJunkie said, he replaced his EPDM OEM belt at 120k miles...because it was cracked. Don't care if you have a belt that's a whole 65k miles old, ThunderbirdJunkie got that and more out of normal belts on his 5.0s.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.