Air compressor replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 03 Liberty that needs to have its air compressor replaced because the clutch is making a lot of noise and there is black goo all over the place.

There is also a noise that sounds like water going through pipes with gargling like noises (similar to like sipping a straw from a cup that is almost empty).

Took it to the Jeep dealership and they said that there was nothing internally damaged with the compressor and that it was just the clutch.

They recommended just to replace the air compressor with a new OEM part. Will that resolve the gargling like water noises that are being made also?

I have read on this and other forums that for the warranty to be covered on a new air compressor, that the orifice and dryer/receiver need to be replaced too.

The technician said that was not necessary because the compressor was not damaged internally.

Will I have a warranty problem later on down the road if something happens again. The technician says no, but how can I be certain?

Last edited:

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the maker of the a/c compressor will usually require proof that the receiver/drier and orifice tube were replaced at the same time as the compressor (and that the system was flushed) to have a valid warranty. sure the compressor may be fine and there was no failure, (you may be able to just replace the compressor and it would be fine for another 10 years), but there will usually be some amount of metal particles in the system due to normal wear and tear on the compressor so it is best to play it safe and have all the required components replaced and the system flushed before running the new compressor.

Latest posts

Members online