ahh SH**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahh crap

I was sitting here thinking yesterday when I remembered topping off my antifreeze when the overflow was low.. I remembered the bottle being gray and wondered if it was the Dex-cool crap that should NOT be used in our engine.. I called dad and got him to go and check and he said that it said dex-cool on the bottle, but he cannot see very good so its untelling when he was looking at.

Either way, I only added enough to top off the tank. But remember, its not your regular overflow tank, the coolant flows all the time..

In other words, is that bad? What can this crap do?

I wont be going home till this weekend to make sure its NOT Dex-cool, so I get to sit here and worry about that..

its been in there for around 3months or so..

Last edited:

2003KJ

Reaction score
I've used the same stuff for a couple of years now in my KJ, for topping off the coolant level. Zero problems for me, so I wouldn't be worried about it at all. If i'm not mistaken at the moment, it's the Prestone brand.

Besides, on the bottle it shows what vehicles and years it's compatible with, and I believe it says that 2000 and up Chrysler's it works with....I know it's before 2002...just can't remember if it's 2000 or 2001.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, I know I wouldnt of gotten it if it didnt say Chrysler on the back, but then I stared to read a bunch of crap about it.

And yes, mine is Prestone..

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was sitting here thinking yesterday when I remembered topping off my antifreeze when the overflow was low.. I remembered the bottle being gray and wondered if it was the Dex-cool crap that should NOT be used in our engine.. I called dad and got him to go and check and he said that it said dex-cool on the bottle, but he cannot see very good so its untelling when he was looking at.

Either way, I only added enough to top off the tank. But remember, its not your regular overflow tank, the coolant flows all the time..

In other words, is that bad? What can this crap do?

I wont be going home till this weekend to make sure its NOT Dex-cool, so I get to sit here and worry about that..

its been in there for around 3months or so..

The amount you put in should not affect your system, here's a link for further info: http://www.aa1car.com/library/coolant.htm

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Tony.. I know that I do not need to fill it up to the cap.. I know exactly where it needs to be filled to...

The only thing Im worried about is the fact that so many chevy owners complain about Dex-cool.. Dex-cool is a coolant.

I used 50/50 mix

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
As someone who has seen the damage that Dex-cool can.. well... do...

I'd be draining, flushing and refilling with Genuine Mopar orange coolant ASAP. I don't care if it was just a cheap gasket or engine parts that caused all those GM engine failures... I don't trust anything.

Call it overreacting, but look at the engine in my signature. Would you want THAT wonderful animation to have Dex-cool in it? :p

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I, too, am well experinced with Dexcrap...err, Dexcool.

If you mix traditional coolant with Dexcool, it'll gel and turn into a semi-solid. Hell, Dexcool does a decent job of that on it's own! It's supposed to gel when in contact with air to seal leaks. Makes a mess!

Not sure what Jeep uses, but unless the coolent is compatible with Jeep's coolant (Prestone does make a "all-in-one" yellowish coolant that is compatible with all types), I'd be flushing it ASAP and flushing it DARN well.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Ill just keep an eye on it and make sure I NEVER use it again. Kinda ***** that I bought a gallon of the crap and cant use it.. I didnt use more than 1/4 of the container.. It didnt need much at all..

You must be registered for see images attach

That was before I topped it off..

2003KJ

Reaction score
For future reference, I have been lately using Peak Global coolant, which can be found anywhere (I usually get it at Napa). I used the Prestone stuff that Blake was talking about a few times, before I switched to Peak.

Peak will mix with ANY type of coolant, and it supposedly the best out there. I've got no complaints. You might pick you up a bottle of it Blake....I usually keep a bottle that i've already mixed to 50/50 (as it comes straight coolant in the bottle) in the back of the Jeep....just incase something happens.

2003KJ

Reaction score
If your engine ever over heats, give me a yell tim. :D

the 4 year anniversary of when I bought my KJ is this week :D.....in 4 years and 44K, No problems to date...and i've yet to service the cooling system.

I've used Peak Global in all of my friends vehicles who i've done coolant changes/flushes for, and they've all agreed that it's cooled BETTER with peak, than with anything else (even those that we just changed the coolant, and not flushed)