Aem install, a lil more of cold air.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sevral weeks ago I purchased the AEM intake and checked out whats up with it. I got it for like 206.00 on Amazon prime 2day free shipping. So it made it worth it to experiment.

Well not so great as everyone has eluded too. As we all know it is not CAI. It is an intake, that's it. I knew this and tried to fix that a bit with this,

You must be registered for see images attach

The extra pipe insulation on top seals with the hood better to let only the air from directly behind the grille in. You can see where it squishes as it meets the hood. It is also a full box heat sheild. not just on the side as I have seen.

The net result is that I have lost 1 mpg.:favorites68:

I will say though that it "feels" like it has a bit more power. the butt dyno says so. and it's not because I am heavier on the pedal. I made sure to pay special attention to that.

Install was easy, it looks great, feels strong, but the tube heats up because it is in the engine bay, prolly negating the cold air factor. I would say if you can get it cheap try it. I am going to put a sock on it to protect the engine though from particulates. Mabey add insulating tape to the tube to keep it cooler. And maybe an inline fan from beyond the box to pull cooler air in to the filter via a 4" tubing route.

alighash11

Reaction score
I just read something online that the oiled air filters can mess with the sensors cuz the oil attracts dirt?
i was planning on getting the intake and new tires this Friday for a little Saturday morning fun. Now i'm feeling scared to do the intake because it's also my daily driver.
But I'm desperate for better milage gas is waaay too expensive.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read something online that the oiled air filters can mess with the sensors cuz the oil attracts dirt?
i was planning on getting the intake and new tires this Friday for a little Saturday morning fun. Now i'm feeling scared to do the intake because it's also my daily driver.

all in all its a bad idea. he said he lost 1 mpg. this is an old thread, but it still tells the truth. KJ + intake = FAIL!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AEM and AFE systems now come standard with dry filters that are re-useable.

Complaining about gas prices and owning a Jeep is just wrong.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fixed that for ya
I don't compalin about gas prices and I get far worse mpg's then any of you do.Bad mpg's and owning a Jeep just go hand in hand.No use complaining about something that you have no control over(the price of gas) or have any hope of doing anything about.

Buy a prius and stop complaining.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i gave up complaining about the gas milage. i just bought some motorcycles to make up the mpg difference

surfRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Its not that the oiled filters attract dirt that messes up the sensor. Its that they are covered in oil! The oil gets pulled down the intake tubing right onto the airflow sensor.

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They don't filter as well, either. I had a K&N drop in on my Jeep for a while. I got rid of it when I started finding dust downstream of the air box. I use a Purolator gold now, live in a SUPER dusty environment, and no dust is getting past the filter that I can see.

x3 on not shelling out for a CAI- they just aren't meant for the KJ.

Members online

No members online now.