advise needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

black snow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my jeep last week from this body shop. I had it repaired for hail damage. First, I brought it to them Sept 8, to have the roof, hood repair and windshield replacement. I was given a call by Sept 13 and was told that the agency, had to reassess the jeep since they cannot repair the roof and need replacement. I didn't bother since I am to pay only less than a $100 ($50 deductible and $40 something for the windshield) because of my insurance.

When I got my jeep, they told me that I need it to be brought back by Sept 28 for the roof replacement and the windshield. BUt I noted to them some issues on the repaired hood, (dents i believe made by the hail puttied , sanded a little but not polished, and some more damages they said were made by rocks. But I told them it wasnt there before. I knew it because I personally clean, polish, clay bar, everything this jeep.

Then Sept 28 when I brought my jeep for the rof and windshield job. I was asked to pick the jeep up that friday, in the afternoon. I went home very excited, with a new shiny hood roof and perfect windshield. When I got home, That's when I noticed that the body, all around was scratches. doors, windows, everywhere. Those I even asked the foreman regarding the hood marks that Ive seen before was still there. I called them up and was told to bring it the following monday since they are not open that saturday and sunday,

That monday, went there to talk to them, the foreman told me that they cant be responsible for those scratches, and even called this man. I though I will have a pleasant conversation with them. To my surprise, this person's voice is starting to be loud, and asking me, we are not here to make those damages to your 'car'. We are here to repair your 'car'. I told them yes you are to repair my jeep, but why is it that there are so many scratches all around. He even dared me to produce the video of the shop to see the jeep the whole time it is on their premises. Told them Id love to see that.

This two peaople are now ganging up on me telling me that those were marks of big dogs, and every excuses that they can tell me, saying that this is a sever (7) year old vehicle. saying if it is a 2010 model, I could have a valid reason to ask.

Many arguments and they are really trying to make me feel stupid. They just gave me a number that I can call so that those nasty black hand prints on my ceiling be cleaned (the hands of whoever installed my roof must really be dirty). A small hole on the ceiling, my (driver side) was even pointed out as my fault. they told me cigarette burn, But I haven't had touched a cigarette all my life, am not a smoker. the lights on my EVIC even is not turning on when pushed or the doors opened.

My wife just asked me to stop complaining because she can see how those two people are ganging up on me. Telling and saying to me continually that they are there to repair cars and not damage them.

Just like to ask any opinion or suggestion regarding this matter. Am really pissed to see this happening to my jeep. Although this is an 03, and telling me that because it is black, it usually is like that, many scratches, I do believe I know my jeeps condition when I brought it for the repairs. Even have it washed that afternoon before I brought it to them the next morning, so I know what I have.

DirtyKK

JPOTM WINNER
Reaction score
threaten with a complaint to the better business bureau and getting a lawyer. if they dont budge then you need to actually do it. otherwise there is probably nothing you can do.

jimkelly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
threaten with a complaint to the better business bureau and getting a lawyer. if they dont budge then you need to actually do it. otherwise there is probably nothing you can do.

I feel for you man. I predict lots of aggravation in your future.

1. Don't waste your time threatening with a complaint, it never works. Generally they will laugh at you and tell you to go ahead and then wait for the complaint.

2. Dont' file a complaint with the BBB. Here is why: The Better Business Bureau is a business just like everyone else. They are not a government agency and have no power to do anything. Businesses pay the BBB a yearly fee to become members. When the complaint is filed against a particular business the BBB forwards a copy of the complaint with a cover letter to the business in question. All the business needs to do is respond to the complaint and BBB marks the compalint closed. Their response can be "we are not going to do anything or go pound sand" it don't matter as long as the business responds they do not get a "black mark" for unresolved complaint. The BBB will in turn send you a letter back that they are unable to resolve the complaint. The BBB is a joke. Do they work sometimes yes, but more than not if the business is unwilling to resolve your complaint that's the end of it.

3. Contact your insurance provider to complain about the shoddy repairs and new damages. Let them attempt to get it resolved first.

4. If it doesn't get resolved Contact your state Bureau of Consumer Protection (at least that's what it's called in Pennsylvania) and file a formal complaint with them. The business will stand up and take notice when they get an inquiry from your state Consumer Protection Agency. They have alot more teeth than the BBB has.

If you don't have pictures of the vehicle prior to going to the body shop, and pictures at the time you picked up the vehicle you are SOL. You have to be able to prove they did the new damage. The shoddy work would not be an issue though.

You can file a small claims action against them in court. Make sure you have another body shop quote for the damages and shoddy work, and more importantly that an expert from the new shop will come to court and testify on your behalf. If you can't get this it's not worth the time and $$$ it will cost to file the small claims action pro se.

Yes you can hire a lawyer and that will take even more $$$, time off from work and more aggravation on your part, for what?

Try to resolve it without going to small claims court or hiring a lawyer. I do have to say that a letter to the business on legal letterhead sometimes does the trick though.

I speak from experience, during my tenure at a engine manufacturer and installer I have answered countless complaints from both the BBB and BCP. Go to your insurance carrier first then to your state BCP.

Don't forget take quality pictures of all the damages if you have not already done so. Also start a log and write everything down, everyone you spoke to and what they said, dates, times, etc. etc.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
First off sorry to hear about your overall experience.
That must have been quite the hail storm! Size of golf balls or larger I assume.
Since over the years of dealing with body shops, I always now photograph the vehicle before taking it into the shop, maybe the insurance company did, and can help.
All I can say is that you really need to choose carefully who works on your rigs.
My first preference would always be given to the dealer, or I would feel that...
There are so many fly by night body shops I have little to no confidence of any of them.
It is so bad I would ask for journeymen certificates for those employed there and look for shop cleanliness and references and check the BBB, before ever considering them.
Now that you have had the work done there, I know the feeling, like do I really want them now continue to work on my vehicle? Probably not.
Bset of luck, call the insurance company let them look at at it again, before anything else gets done.
You can also file a complaint against them with the BBB (better business bureau)

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know SGI *****.

Hey, Black Snow, chin up dude. I lived in Saskatchewan for the better part of 18 years and if I learned one thing it was to never ever finalize a claim with SGI until YOU are completely satisfied. Go back to the claims center and speak to your adjuster about the problems. The government is paying these jerks to fix your Jeep, make sure that SGI gets their money's worth. They won't tolerate crappy work.

For those not in the know, SGI is Saskatchewan Government Insurance. They handle all motor vehicle licencing and insuring in Saskatchewan. When it works, it works well. Thanks to our nearly Communist provincial gov't back in the 50's.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Hey, Black Snow, chin up dude. I lived in Saskatchewan for the better part of 18 years and if I learned one thing it was to never ever finalize a claim with SGI until YOU are completely satisfied. Go back to the claims center and speak to your adjuster about the problems. The government is paying these jerks to fix your Jeep, make sure that SGI gets their money's worth. They won't tolerate crappy work.

For those not in the know, SGI is Saskatchewan Government Insurance. They handle all motor vehicle licencing and insuring in Saskatchewan. When it works, it works well. Thanks to our nearly Communist provincial gov't back in the 50's.

Wait you live in Saskatchewan? You havent posted a big @ss buck yet? WTF Do you not deer hunt or something?

journeyjim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mitchell south dakota from may through oct every y
No Mag, I lived in Saskatchewan. I now live in a crappier place, Cold Lake, Alberta. Google it, I dare you.

I looked it up and you have a lake with 250 berths and a three golf courses, there are a lot worse places. We love Alberta especially the oil sands, the pipe line comes down just a few miles east of me, all the way to Illinois.
We love Canada.

black snow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I will try it out with SGI first and let you know. I don;t want to spend $$ and talk to those kinds of people, worthless and irrelevant.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, I will try it out with SGI first and let you know. I don;t want to spend $$ and talk to those kinds of people, worthless and irrelevant.

Right on. Let the SGI Adjuster deal with them. It's the Adjuster's f***ing job. You shouldn't have to deal with morons. In fact, the morons should be freaking happy to have your business. Good luck. I still have a few contacts with SGI's office in Regina, let me know if you need a hand.

Ian

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked it up and you have a lake with 250 berths and a three golf courses, there are a lot worse places. We love Alberta especially the oil sands, the pipe line comes down just a few miles east of me, all the way to Illinois.
We love Canada.

Well, the marina is nice, but the ice is off the lake in June and back on in Nov. We get about two months of summer here. In fact, I sold my Campion Allante 485 because I spent more on insurance than gas. Put three hours on it the last year I had it. And the oil thing.... don't get me started. I'm in the military and get payed pretty well. Except here, the oil companies pay some ******** wages and it's reflected in the price of EVERYTHING here. Housing is ridiculous, groceries are expensive and well, so is everything else. The kids serving me coffee at the Tim Hortons get about $13/hr.

If I was in Greenwood, Nova Scotia, I'd be way better off. My pay wouldn't change but the cost of living there is alot lower. Houses are a third of the price of comparables here.

I can't wait to get out next year. I'm going to stay here because the job market is just too good. I can go from $70K/yr to about $140K/yr overnight.

black snow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after the long wait with people in SGI for another inspection, all they told me is that it can't be resolved since I and the people who made the repair cannot support that those scratches were not there before. Not even pictures would be able to show those scratches...

sigh...