Advice KJ Jeep Renegade 2.8 CRD vs. ***???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petkozaric

Reaction score
Advice KJ Jeep Renegade 2.8 CRD

Hi everyone,

I need a advice from you, For many years I drive WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4.0L I6 engine and I am very satisfied with quality of Jeep. Now I think to buy used KJ Liberty Renegade 2006 (60 000 km) with 2.8 CRD engine (VM Motori) for my wife. We are thinking for buy between Jeep Liberty 2006 (2.8 CRD) and Toyota RAV4 (2.0 d-4d or 2.2dcat).

I don't have experience with KJ Liberty and what your opinion about that Italian diesel engine? I am little skeptic about diesel, more like petrol.

I found very good condition used vehicle, but I'm not sure how well this show VM Motori Diesel 2.8 CRD.

Any suggestion is recommended :)

Thank you
Petko

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
If you are a diesel skeptic, then I don't think you should buy it. You don't want to buy a vehicle that you regret later. I've done it twice. Find a gas model. Both gas engines are good, the V6 more powerful and better than the 4 cylinder, but neither are bad.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
They are a bit finicky, but with some mods they're great from what I gather.

I also had a WJ 4.0, great Jeep. Got me hooked. :D KJ's are cool, they remind me a lot of the WJ. They have the campy feel for sure.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Liberty will be for my wife, I'd just like to hear your experiences with VM 2.8 CRD Engines.

I think the CRD is great and there are many fans on lostjeeps who love them.

However there are some things that need special attention and I think you may have problems getting spares in Belgrade and finding a decent mechanic who understands the Jeep CRD.:freak3:

petkozaric

Reaction score
We bought it this morning, I will attach a picture later.

We have decent distributors of spare parts for Jeep in Belgrade, mechanic will be a problem I know for sure. Could you inform me for what I need to special attention for CRD?

thank you
BillWill

petkozaric

Reaction score
do may know what oil goes to KJ Jeep 2.8 CRD?
In service manual tell this:

ENGINE OIL - DIESEL ENGINES
Only use synthetic engine oils meeting the API Categories
SL/CF and Chrysler Material Standard
MS-10725. Those engine oils not meeting the viscosity
and API Quality and MS-10725 requirements should
not be used.
SAE VISCOSITY GRADE
The preferred engine oil is SAE 0W-40 MobilT One Synthetic. If you can not locate SAE 0W-40 MobilT One Synthetic,
then SAE 5W-40 MobilT One Synthetic would be acceptable

ENGINE OIL - DIESEL ENGINES - EXPORT

Use only Diesel Engine Oil meeting standard MIL-2104C or API Classification CD or higher or CCML D4, D5.
SAE VISCOSITY GRADE
CAUTION: Low viscosity oils must have the proper API quality or the CCMC G5 designation.
To assure of properly formulated engine oils, it is recommended that SAE Grade 10W-40 engine oils that meet
Chrysler material standard MS-6395, be used in accordance to ACEA B3, B4 specification. European Grade 10W-40
oils are also acceptable.
Oils of the SAE 5W-40 grade number are preferred when minimum temperatures consistently fall below -15° C

????

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the manual is calling for European Grade 10W-40 synthetic.

Is that grade available in your region?

Bob

petkozaric

Reaction score
That grade is available .
Why I am asking that because how is possible for same engine goes different oil?
In Belgrade we have winter to -15 Celsius and summer to 45 Celsius.