Additional 12v and iPhone for stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willabbott

Reaction score
Curious what others have done...

The 12v plug in the front is nice (having it hot all the time is nice for camping, etc) but we've got not only iPhone chargers we need in the car, but a radar detector we'd like to have hooked up... and eventually be adding a Garmin GPS unit...

I've been thinking an extra 12V outlet would be nice... I don't really want to tie into the existing, as I don't want a bunch of stuff running when the engine is off, and running the battery down... Want to know what others have come up with for a mount location, as well as a tie in point electrically. Pictures are welcome for the location, as well as what hardware you used for the plug... I've seen one at the local auto stores that has a 12V plug, plus 2 USB ports... thinking that might be nicer than using a 12v usb charger anyways.

Also, looking for suggestions on the best and least expensive way to get music from our iPhones into the stereo... not keen on the FM transmitter... but I've heard of hard wired FM transmitters that sound like a good way to go... about $200 installed... a digital interface is available from the stereo store locally for closer to $200-300... but then you're getting into a new stereo cost... Thinking there must be something short of the FM transmitter that is inexpensive, and easy to install... welcome opinions and suggestions.

Thanks.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
There are auxiliary audio adapters for the iPhone part. The good ones plug into the connector on the back of the stock radio which normally would go to the CD-Changer. If you actually have the CD-Changer there are adapters which take that into account. Basically it gives you a 3.5mm jack which acts as an input when the radio is set to the AUX setting via the MODE button.

As for the power source, I bought a 3-1 cigarette plug adapter and hard wired it to the switchable power lead to the radio. It is mounted under the dash behind the pop-out door under the steering column. I have my Garmin and an OBD-II scanner for the Garmin plugged into it, but you could buy the ciggie plug and wire whatever you wanted to it. My Garmin now kicks on and off automatically with the ignition, which I like.

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be experimenting with a custom multi-usb port setup in my Jeep in the next month or so. I, too, run my phone charger and Garmin , usually at the same time. I have two port plug for my accessory/lighter, but I also need that power for my cb radio when I want to use it. It's hand held, so i don't want to hard wire it in. The plan is to have 4 usb ports built into my console for phone, Garmin, etc. I've found the usb pieces on amazon fairly cheap. I just need to figure out where I want then exactly, and make sure they will fit without causing other issues. They'll be hard wired in, so my 12v power will be free for my cb.

My daughter has an fm unit in her Subi that works well, but it has to use the 12v power supply and be in a certain location, too, so the receiver will pick it up cleanly. We tried several and hated most of them. She likes this particular one that she has now I'll get the brand and post it tomorrow.

Sent from my mystical handheld gizmo.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
This is similar to what I have under the dash:

You must be registered for see images attach

I clipped the plug off and re-used it for one of the accessories, then hard-wired the works into a switching 12V source. I use the USB charger via an extension cable run to the glove compartment. I could plug a USB hub into it if I need more than one USB outlet.

Members online