Adding lights to bumper of 06 Limited.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wanting to put offroad lighting on my bumper of my 06 Liby Limited 4x4.
Other than looking at it from the underside and wanting.. I have no idea. I assume its possible since the Renegade has its lights on the bumper. I was thinking of getting some 5" KC daylighters.. And just run them via a relay and switch.

My real Q.. Is.. Can it be done, which I think it could. I assume that black plastic stuff on the inside of the bumper will come out. I have no idea where to start. The bumper/facia appears to be rivoted on.. If I take out the black plastic thing what will give the bumper rigidity/strength to support/holdthe lights. Also I think it would weaken the jeep if it was crashed..

Thoughts?

Bulli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is posible, depending on your diy skills. The black plastic lining inside the bumper is for parking lot mishaps and help the bumper to regain some of its original form after light impact.
You need to remove the front bumper (i think there is a how to somewhere iirc). You need to remove the front fender liners partly and the wheel arch trimming, then the bumper. Behind the bumper there is a stiffner on wich you can mount brackets to fit the spots by either welding or riveting the bracket in place.
The term measure twice, drill once is applicable! Then after the bumper is put back, drill holes in the bumper through the brackets and mount your spotties. I just want to say again, MEASURE TWICE AND DRILL ONCE!

G36 Shooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just added a pair if Cibie 35 amber fogs to the frt. of my '06 KJ. I removed the grill and bumper cover, welded on two pcs. of 4x3in. steel plate to the bumper bar for the light brkt. I cut out some of the blk. plastic rein. for clearence, reinstalled the cover measured and marked light location and drilled holes, I cut a slot behind the holes so if needed I could remove the cover without removing the lamps. I wired them with a relay switched through the park lamps. O'Reilly's has a compleat wire kit for about $12.00 (Blazer pt.#510) The install came out well, and if I want to switch out to driving lamps I can just change the park lamp lead to the hi-beam wire.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just added a pair if Cibie 35 amber fogs to the frt. of my '06 KJ. I removed the grill and bumper cover, welded on two pcs. of 4x3in. steel plate to the bumper bar for the light brkt. I cut out some of the blk. plastic rein. for clearence, reinstalled the cover measured and marked light location and drilled holes, I cut a slot behind the holes so if needed I could remove the cover without removing the lamps. I wired them with a relay switched through the park lamps. O'Reilly's has a compleat wire kit for about $12.00 (Blazer pt.#510) The install came out well, and if I want to switch out to driving lamps I can just change the park lamp lead to the hi-beam wire.
I am "special" at the moment. Do you have any pictures?

I'd just use a large fender washer underneath the bumper skin and another on top and then just mount some lamps...
Not rocket science really!
I actually used a street sign that I cut so I have a base under the bumper skin about a foot wide and about 4-5 inches long (one side cut spherical to go along with the curve of the front of the bumper) under the skin. When I find my old memory card from my phone I will post a picture of it if it would be helpful.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan.. I laugh at your simplicity. I like it.. But that rubber seams weak, I am sure the lights would be all bouncy going down the road.

Is there a bull bar that bolts where the two tow hooks are.. Then I could mount the lights to it. I guess I could have a muffler shop fabricate something with their pipe bender. Make it bolt to those two locations and come out and up and create a bar to mount lights.

You must be registered for see images

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on mine, the factory fogs seem to mount to the bumper stiffener (which is right beneath the upper surface of the bumper). There are little square cut-outs in the bumper where the brackets bolt to the stiffener, which - by definition - is stiff and won't be all bouncy.

If you don't mind cutting the top surface of your bumper, you shouldn't have any problem mounting them the same way - just make the cut-outs and drill mounting holes in the stiffener as required.

I'll take a photo of mine later and upload it, so you can see what I'm trying to describe

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking if I was going to have to remove the front facia, why not reses them or flush mount them into the bumper itself, like the Rubicon has.. I wonder if the bumper from a Rubicon would fit on a Liby? It appears to be similar shape.. You could loose the fender turn signals, convert the driving lights into turn signals. hmmm

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okura_hubby;552021 Is there a bull bar that bolts where the two tow hooks are.. [/QUOTE said:
all most all of the aftermarket (and factory for that matter) bull bar/grille/brush guards mount there.

here is a cheap one I bought for my wife's for like $100 on ebay just to mount some lights.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
all most all of the aftermarket (and factory for that matter) bull bar/grille/brush guards mount there.

here is a cheap one I bought for my wife's for like $100 on ebay just to mount some lights.

The only problem with push bars is that they kill your approach angle of road!
That and I wouldn't want to try a vehicle recovery by attaching a tow strap to one.

And using a large fender washer under and above the bumper skin works quite well for mounting an additional lamp.

gtommec

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only problem with push bars is that they kill your approach angle of road!
That and I wouldn't want to try a vehicle recovery by attaching a tow strap to one.

I agree, that is why I said that it is just there to mount the lights (and for aesthetic reasons) For someone that doesn't go off road and likes the looks It works. My wife's Liberty sees no offroad time at all with the exception of the beach and the occasional muddy road on our property in NC. My 2WD Liberty (the dark green one in my signature) has a set of Hellas that I mounted to the bumper although I was able to drill through the top metal support of the cover and mount it there. I was going to do this to the wife's as well but she wanted a grille guard.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That brush guard is actually nice looking. Do you know the brand?

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in seeing if some kind of retrofit of fogs into the bumper fascia, ala the 02-04 MY, couldn't be cleanly done to the 05-07 MY bumpers.

Flea

Reaction score
I measured and drilled into the top of the frame rails as a mount point.

This was before a Detours winch mount, so the lights have moved a little since.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy crap, where did you guys snake your wires for the switch through the firewwall??? I'm good with everything else.