Adding a Hitch to an 05 Ren

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna add a hitch to my 05 Ren, and I figured, what the hell, I'll add the trailer wiring while I'm at it.

Trailer 7 pin wiring

So then it says that I need some other adapter or something because I dont have an EVIC or OTIS.

Some other adapter thing

Is this second adapter necessary or is there a simple way to bypass, rather then spending $30 on some unnecessary thing.

Also, has anyone put a hitch on an 05? I know I have the ****** cooler stock so I'm not worried about that, but maybe I should get the mechanical fan fotr some extra cooling.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks guys.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jfortier777 said:
I'm gonna add a hitch to my 05 Ren, and I figured, what the hell, I'll add the trailer wiring while I'm at it.

Trailer 7 pin wiring

So then it says that I need some other adapter or something because I dont have an EVIC or OTIS.

Some other adapter thing

Is this second adapter necessary or is there a simple way to bypass, rather then spending $30 on some unnecessary thing.

Also, has anyone put a hitch on an 05? I know I have the ****** cooler stock so I'm not worried about that, but maybe I should get the mechanical fan fotr some extra cooling.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Ive tried looking for the extra cooling and mopar sells a kit but it comes with another ****** cooler. Also, Im not sure if I need to get a different electric fan or not, no one can tell me. I called the dealer and they ask for a vin number but I tell them mine doesnt have the tow pack I need to know if I need another electric fan, they have no clue what Im talking about. Its sad when I know more about my jeep than the dealer does. If you figure anything out tell me.

jfortier777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
You need the mechanical clutch fan, jeepjeepster.

Yes it is as Marlon says. The fan associated with the tow package is the mechanical fan that runs with the engine, not with an electrical motor. The tow package does not include a different electric fan.

My question would be do you really need it or not. I would like one just for the extra reliability to cool the radiator while offroading. (Because My electric fan crapped out and caused my engine to overheat a month or so ago.)

It probably is needed for ******** towing, but I dont intend to do any of that, Although the though of pulling some sort of trailer with my liberty is very very enticing.

glaurick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installing the hitch is a breeze as the nuts are already welded to the frame (no fishing required). A tip though, get all the bolts started then tighten them all down, I'll PM you my install.

The extra adapter you need is a zero drop converter so you dont overload your stock wiring, it is listed that you must have it in the reese fit lists

glaurick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glaurick said:
I would venture to say that Camper only weighs about 3k pounds
atleast the Gulfstreams we sell weigh about that much.

I chose the Tekonsha Voyager for my Brake Controller and Came up with what I thought was the best place for it the Dash is just to straight for most New Controllers that require certain mounting angles. It would have to go to low to be readily accessable, remember you have to be able to reach your controller fast if the Trailer starts to sway.
You must be registered for see images

also for the 7 Pin I chose to mount it here
You must be registered for see images

also note that the liberty requires a Zero Drop Taillight Converter when installing Trailer lights.

Amarony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Secondary Harness

Under the How-To section is my writeup on installing a hitch/harness etc. As previously stated above the secondary harness is meant to connect to the battery through the harness to provide power through the round seven plug. I have an 05 Renny also and found that the secondary harness also had the brake controller wire which you need to connect to your controller.

What i'd do is check to see if you have the brake controller wire already under the front kick panel. (Better description in the writeup). If you can't find the wire (which I couldn't on mine) you'll need the secondary harness for sure if you plan on using a brake controller. If you don't need a controller or a charging mechanism for your trailer (power source), you have a decent chance of doing without the secondary harness I would think as also hinted above.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
You need the mechanical clutch fan, jeepjeepster.

Yea, I knew that but what Im wondering is if the towing pack comes with a different electric fan to allow more room for mechanical fan. There are two different part numbers for electric fans but Im not sure what the different ones are for.