Accelerating/revving up to 3K all the time bad for the engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,

So I'm a newbie at all things mechanical, and I was wondering if it's bad for my Libby if I rev up to 3K to accelerate from a dead stop. I usually do it the majority of the time, but I don't want to cause long term damage. It feels like if I rev around 2-2.5 it takes FOREVER to get up to speed, but 3K seems to be the sweet spot to a speedy take off. I did it in the my old Intrepid all the time, but it seemed to rev a lot faster. Any opinions?

Thanks again!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that pampering the KJ is the best but jack rabbit starts sure ***** back the fuel and can be ******* rear tires and diff. I normally let my Kj well warm up like 20 minutes of driving it easy, until the rear LS diff and all components have warmed up, before I accelerate to 3k rpm. Change your rear diff fluid every 12k miles and consider using 85w-140 GL5 as severe service for it.
The ole intrepid did not weigh in at 4400 lbs, so take off in a KJ just is not the same, even though the KJ does perform quite well off the line.

Last edited:

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There have been studies to show that accelerating too slowly will yield worse mpgs than a medium rate due to efficiency of the gears. Id say that is fine, and would not "suck" gas.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that pampering the KJ is the best but jack rabbit starts sure ***** back the fuel and can be ******* rear tires and diff. I normally let my Kj well warm up like 20 minutes of driving it easy, until the rear LS diff and all components have warmed up, before I accelerate to 3k rpm. Change your rear diff fluid every 12k miles and consider using 85w-140 GL5 as severe service for it.
The ole intrepid did not weigh in at 4400 lbs, so take off in a KJ just is not the same, even though the KJ does perform quite well off the line.

Is it normal to change out the rear diff fluid every 12000 miles? Thought diff fluids we're a bit more mileage between changes ? (I run royal purple 75 140)

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The FSM says 12k for schedule B (severe service), but doesn't even mention changing diff oils in schedule A. The Mopar diff oil is synthetic. What would be a good interval for schedule A?

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Schedule A is for the perfect enviroment that does not exist.[/QUOTE]
Come on Troy, that is so untrue. Schedule A isn't meant for perfect enviornment. If schedule A didn't exist, they wouldn't put it in the manual.

1) Schedule A provisions were developed by the engineers who feel that 6K services are adequate if your driving habits fall within those provisions.

2) They want your money. If they really didn't feel Schedule A existed, they would only print the 3K mile services since they felt that you shouldn't go over 3K for real world conditions. The added benfit for them would be customers frequenting the dealer service centers more often.

3) 3K is so old school...unless you really beat up an engine while using conventional.

4) My driving habits fall within the Schedule A service recommendation. I've been changing my oil & filter every 5K, air filter every 10K, diffs every 30K (w/synthetic), and everything else as recommended by the manual. I would put the mechanically soundness of my KJ up against yours any day.

To the OP, 3K "take-offs" aren't going to hurt your engine as long as it is taken care of. I personally wouldn't before the engine gets to operating temp so you have proper oil flow, but that might just be me.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Schedule A is for the perfect enviroment that does not exist.
Come on Troy, that is so untrue. Schedule A isn't meant for perfect enviornment. If schedule A didn't exist, they wouldn't put it in the manual.

1) Schedule A provisions were developed by the engineers who feel that 6K services are adequate if your driving habits fall within those provisions.

2) They want your money. If they really didn't feel Schedule A existed, they would only print the 3K mile services since they felt that you shouldn't go over 3K for real world conditions. The added benfit for them would be customers frequenting the dealer service centers more often.

3) 3K is so old school...unless you really beat up an engine while using conventional.

4) My driving habits fall within the Schedule A service recommendation. I've been changing my oil & filter every 5K, air filter every 10K, diffs every 30K (w/synthetic), and everything else as recommended by the manual. I would put the mechanically soundness of my KJ up against yours any day.

To the OP, 3K "take-offs" aren't going to hurt your engine as long as it is taken care of. I personally wouldn't before the engine gets to operating temp so you have proper oil flow, but that might just be me.[/QUOTE]
Schedule A you can never.............

No dust
No temps over 90 degrees
no temps under 40 degrees
no towing
no offroading
no city driving(stop and go)
no straight highway driving(over 3-4 hours long)
No short trips under 30mins

Where does that exist?

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No dust
No temps over 90 degrees
no temps under 40 degrees
no towing
no offroading
no city driving(stop and go)
no straight highway driving(over 3-4 hours long)
No short trips under 30mins

Where does that exist?
That scenario exists right here.

I don't live in dusty conditions.
Temps don't get over 90.
Temps don't go below 40 (for 9 of the 12 months) and even when they do, we are talking 32.
I might tow once or twice a year for a short distance and a light load (not close to qualifying).
I haven't been off-roading in a year and a half.
The city part of my driving consists of half a mile and I rarely have to stop.
I take the van on long trips.
My commute is 25 min. Definitely long enough to reach operating temps and circulate the oil well.

I'm the epitomy of schedule A.

The manual doesn't mean if one of those factors happens to you once, you have to follow Schedule B. It says if you frequently drive under one or more of those conditions, you should follow Schedule B.

Now, my dad and his JK are the opposite. He has a right hand drive JK to deliver the mail in. Dusty conditions, constant stop & go, operation between 7 to 9 straight hours a day. He follows the Schedule B. But even on Schedule B, his OLM has him changing his oil every 4k (not that you should totally trust those, but the manual does say it is recommended to follow it).

Not everyone is a Schedule B. Not every vehicle or situation is the same. Me and you live in two totally different places and use our vehicles in different ways. You can't blanket everyone in a 3K miles Schedule B.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That scenario exists right here.

I don't live in dusty conditions.
Temps don't get over 90.
Temps don't go below 40 (for 9 of the 12 months) and even when they do, we are talking 32.
I might tow once or twice a year for a short distance and a light load (not close to qualifying).
I haven't been off-roading in a year and a half.
The city part of my driving consists of half a mile and I rarely have to stop.
I take the van on long trips.
My commute is 25 min. Definitely long enough to reach operating temps and circulate the oil well.

I'm the epitomy of schedule A.

The manual doesn't mean if one of those factors happens to you once, you have to follow Schedule B. It says if you frequently drive under one or more of those conditions, you should follow Schedule B.

Now, my dad and his JK are the opposite. He has a right hand drive JK to deliver the mail in. Dusty conditions, constant stop & go, operation between 7 to 9 straight hours a day. He follows the Schedule B. But even on Schedule B, his OLM has him changing his oil every 4k (not that you should totally trust those, but the manual does say it is recommended to follow it).

Not everyone is a Schedule B. Not every vehicle or situation is the same. Me and you live in two totally different places and use our vehicles in different ways. You can't blanket everyone in a 3K miles Schedule B.
Yeah but you got high humidity almost all year round,schedule B for you.

67Customs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah but you got high humidity almost all year round,schedule B for you.
Haha. Stop making things up, man.

First off, humidity isn't normally high in my area. Go about an hour and a half east towards Charlotte and you'll start getting high humidity. It is really nice weather here. You should come visit. Great tourist town.

Second, nowhere does it state in my manual that humidity is a factor in choosing the correct schedule for my driving habits.

2005 Liberty Owner's Manual said:
Schedule "B" - Gasoline Engines
Follow schedule "B" if you usually operate you vehicle under one or more of the following conditions.

- Day or night temperatures are below 32 deg F
- Stop and go driving.
- Extensive engine idling.
- Driving in dusty conditions.
- Short trips of less than 10 miles.
- More than 50% of your driving is at sustained high speeds during hot weather, above 90 deg F.
- Trailer towing.
- Taxi, police, or delivery service (commercial service).
- Off-road or desert driving.
- If equipped for and operated E-85 (ethanol) fuel.

Note: If ANY of these apply to you then change your engine oil every 3,000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first and follow "Schedule B" of the "Maintenance Schedules" section of this manual.

Note: If ANY of these apply to you then flush and replace your engine coolant/anti-freeze every 102,000 miles or 60 months, whichever comes first, and follow "Schedule B" of the "Maintenance Schedules" section of this manual.
This doesn't apply to me. I'm a Schedule A driver.

I love babying my cars like you do, but I'm not wasting fluids nor money by changing them before their useful life is up or changing before they should be.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha. Stop making things up, man.

First off, humidity isn't normally high in my area. Go about an hour and a half east towards Charlotte and you'll start getting high humidity. It is really nice weather here. You should come visit. Great tourist town.

Second, nowhere does it state in my manual that humidity is a factor in choosing the correct schedule for my driving habits.

This doesn't apply to me. I'm a Schedule A driver.

I love babying my cars like you do, but I'm not wasting fluids nor money by changing them before their useful life is up or changing before they should be.
Higher humidity requires longer drive times to evaporate any condensation inside the engine which if not done puts you in "B".

I don't baby my KJ,I beat the s**t out of it,I just maintain it very well.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While Troy and his new friend duke it out.....

I rev up to 3K to accelerate from a dead stop. I usually do it the majority of the time,

I was thinking about this today while I was driving and tried it...are you nuts or.... what's the hurry? You're an accident waiting for a place to happen! :smokin: :rotflmao:

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While Troy and his new friend duke it out.....

I was thinking about this today while I was driving and tried it...are you nuts or.... what's the hurry? You're an accident waiting for a place to happen! :smokin: :rotflmao:
A first gear take off accident at 3k would be pretty minor. As long as no one is in front :Bye: YOU :icon_arrow: :wtf2:

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A first gear take off accident at 3k would be pretty minor. As long as no one is in front :Bye: YOU :icon_arrow: :wtf2:

Unless another car is coming crossways because he's burning a red light....then *BANG* revs down to 0 :freak3: or something of the sort :happy175:

Twice so far I've almost run someone over because they seem to like to hide behind the fricken pillars where the grab handles are and just magically jump in front of me when I accelerate. Stooopid pedestrians

I guess I'm getting old....and cheap, gas is too high to burn on take offs(eh?) lol(sorry, I'm Canehdian, I had to put that in there).

I've slowed down alot since I've had 3 kids, I guess they do that to some people.

Ok, that's enuf about me.... Troy's ready for another round....:popcorn: