Ac problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nicholas dameral

Reaction score
My 02 liberty 3.7l the ac blows cold while driving the gets hot when at idle or low speeds

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like you may be a tad low on refrigerant or have a small leak in system.
When at idle or low speed is the A/C clutch still spinning or stopped?
An A/C shop can hook up the proper hi/low side gauges and see if they meet the specifications below, 2nd photo.
Using a digital temperature probe, from drivers vent, re-circulation mode, these are normal acceptable readings for temperatures on a 85F-90F day.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a post here by LiberyTC on cleaning the air input slot just under the windscreen and also there is filter inside the cabin just behind the glove box that gets clogged up.
If you clean up both areas you will get better air-flow but possibly you need a recharge of refrigerant.

Observe and listen to the clutch that engages the AC compressor when at idle to see if it is dis-engaging too often or if the clutch is slipping. Also check what the electric engine cooling fan is doing.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Obviously Bill in SA is awake, while I have not slept yet LOL.. All good points Bill.
Just to clarify it is not like a cabin air filter, more like a mesh screen, behind the glove box, I used a plastic tooth brush & shop vac for removing the dust from that one.
Here is the clean your upper intake screen post.. https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/clean-your-air-intake-screen.65127/
Much better inside air flow now. :)

nicholas dameral

Reaction score
There is a post here by LiberyTC on cleaning the air input slot just under the windscreen and also there is filter inside the cabin just behind the glove box that gets clogged up.
If you clean up both areas you will get better air-flow but possibly you need a recharge of refrigerant.

Observe and listen to the clutch that engages the AC compressor when at idle to see if it is dis-engaging too often or if the clutch is slipping. Also check what the electric engine cooling fan is doing.
Clutch works as it should. There is no electric fan on my liberty.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird, I thought it was only the early 2002 Export 2.5 CRD Manual like I have that did not have an electric fan!
As soon as the automatic version came out in early 2003...also now a 2.8 L....electric fan was fitted.

I have long been considering fitting a fan. I do not have issues with my aircon which still works fine after 17 years but kreeping along at 50 kph in the National Parks on hot days causes the engine temp to rise a bit!:confused: