AC issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Same functions between both types. Wish that recirc had more positions though.

winddancer

Reaction score
OK.. when I got home I tested the flapper thing...blue is hot, move it to red, Super HOT, then back it just hot, so I am going to say that works..
I also remembered my son had bought a recharge kit, so I got the pressure gage from it and put it on, ran it as directed and the coolant lever reads good while the compressor is on, so there is a proper charge..
so I am still lost, and hoping some AC wizard pops in points me to the cure.. :)

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still thinking blend door also the a/c acts like a dehumidifier in the winter and rainy days.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK.. when I got home I tested the flapper thing...blue is hot, move it to red, Super HOT, then back it just hot, so I am going to say that works..
I also remembered my son had bought a recharge kit, so I got the pressure gage from it and put it on, ran it as directed and the coolant lever reads good while the compressor is on, so there is a proper charge..
so I am still lost, and hoping some AC wizard pops in points me to the cure.. :)
What is the high pressure side doing? Can't judge anything by just the low side.

The blend door is electric while the mode doors are vacuum operated.You can remove the blower motor and see the blend door,not comfortable but can be done.Sadly the blend door motor requires the dash and to be removed to change.

winddancer

Reaction score
I am a little confused..
is the blend door the one that is adjusted when you use the temp control??
I am not sure what the High pressure side is doing,except that the hose get really hot.. is there something I should look for..
I also noticed as I was feeling the tubes, my low side was very cold, but at times would become very hot also..

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a little confused..
is the blend door the one that is adjusted when you use the temp control??
I am not sure what the High pressure side is doing,except that the hose get really hot.. is there something I should look for..
I also noticed as I was feeling the tubes, my low side was very cold, but at times would become very hot also..
Yes the blend door controls if the air is hot or cold.

Without a manifold gauge set with both high/low gauges you can't say anything about what is going on in the system.You could be low on R134a or you could have a compressor that is self destructing internally.

winddancer

Reaction score
Wow.. I got it fixed..
I went to a friends house who is a Mechanic to see if he had the gages and we went thru a few steps and he thought the AC fluid was low even though gage said it was good, so I went home to get it and put more coolant in, as I was doing this, I had fluid shoot out the right front buy radiator..
so I took it over to his house, and as I was driving the two miles my temp gage went nuts and shot up.. so he diagnosed the temp issue first, checking all bus fuses and such.. then happened to look down and see the main power connector was unplugged.. plugged it in, radiator fan worked..
hooked up the AC gage which now said low, we added a full 12 oz and it started to cool, not fully cold still need another 7oz but it is working..
the issue was the radiator fan being unplugged.. who'da thunk..
thanks for all you help..

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow.. I got it fixed..
I went to a friends house who is a Mechanic to see if he had the gages and we went thru a few steps and he thought the AC fluid was low even though gage said it was good, so I went home to get it and put more coolant in, as I was doing this, I had fluid shoot out the right front buy radiator..
so I took it over to his house, and as I was driving the two miles my temp gage went nuts and shot up.. so he diagnosed the temp issue first, checking all bus fuses and such.. then happened to look down and see the main power connector was unplugged.. plugged it in, radiator fan worked..
hooked up the AC gage which now said low, we added a full 12 oz and it started to cool, not fully cold still need another 7oz but it is working..
the issue was the radiator fan being unplugged.. who'da thunk..
thanks for all you help..

Coolant shot out? As in you need a new radiator too?

winddancer

Reaction score
It was coolant from a tiny pin hole and once the fan was working it didnt do it anymore, but I am going to try to use Quick Steel to seal it, and keep an eye on it..
I think the AC was discharged while the place I bought it from worked on it, there was a lot done to it before I bought it..but this is another thing I will keep an eye on..
as for the plug, I know it has to have been undone since I got it in Feb,I have only used the jeep a couple times and it has been parked ever since, because I ride my motorcycle all year round unless it is really snowing hard and it going to hit freezing temps before the road is clear and dry.
I wouldnt have even know any of this if my GF didnt want to borry my jeep..

Fisher2989

Reaction score
I had this same problem...it would blow lukewarm air when driving and hot air when idling...on occasion the coolant would boil in the overflow reservoir...turns out the fan motor was on the fritz...the mechanic said it was pretty common in libbys