AC delete kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my jeep in for the airbag recall today and also learned that my AC compressor is shot:blah: OEM part is about a grand. Since winter is approaching, I'm not in a hurry to have working AC (I hardly even use it in the summer anyway). Service tech says if I leave it as is, the bearings could go and the serpentine belt would come loose, causing a bunch of other problems. He says there is an AC delete kit, which is basically just a pulley I can bolt on in place of the compressor. Anyone familiar with this or where I can buy one?

Thanks!

E.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OR
just install a shorter belt like many have done before

Thanks, after doing some more Googling, this seems like the way to go. Can someone verify that an 82.5" belt is the correct one for a 2003?

I found this routing pic on the forum

Attachments

• newserproute.jpg
    newserproute.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 37

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, after doing some more Googling, this seems like the way to go. Can someone verify that an 82.5" belt is the correct one for a 2003?

I found this routing pic on the forum

I believe so. I haven't done it, but there seem to be a ton of people that have. There's also a different route that you can do in which you don't have to remove the pulley

E.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe so. I haven't done it, but there seem to be a ton of people that have. There's also a different route that you can do in which you don't have to remove the pulley

Cool, I picked up the belt on the way back from the dealership so I will give it a shot.:friday:

NineFingerFury

Reaction score
I'm assuming that it won't blow "air conditioned" air anymore :( Hopefully that really won't matter too much.

I'm just hoping it will still defrost. If that's the case, then I'm all for it most of the time here in Western WA.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My compressor went out, I used a oreily belt #6k819 (ymmv mines 06) I took out the compressor, I gained 15hp!

Here's how mines routed
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

E.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My compressor went out, I used a oreily belt #6k819 (ymmv mines 06) I took out the compressor, I gained 15hp!

Here's how mines routed

That looks like the routing I used, too. The 82.5" belt worked great. I spent at least an hour trying to get the pulley off. I was about to rip the whole darn compressor out! I had one heck of a time. After using some brute force and a pry bar (and some select words, haha), the pulley came finally came off. I took everything else off too so all that was left was the shaft

Anyway, everything seems to be fine. Not sure if I will ever get a new compressor or not. I rarely use AC.

Oh yeah, is it normal for the system to de-pressurize? When I removed one of the ring clips, there was a loud psssssst sound.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyway, everything seems to be fine. Not sure if I will ever get a new compressor or not. I rarely use AC.

Oh yeah, is it normal for the system to de-pressurize? When I removed one of the ring clips, there was a loud psssssst sound.

I live in south east texas....made it thru this summer with no ac, might not fix it.

I've heard a ac decmpress before and it takes around 15 secs even thru a big hole to let it all out. But if you compress is locked up they are gonna have to replace it, and the orface tube and the accumulator. So they will have to pull a vacuum and charge anyway.

E.T.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in south east texas....made it thru this summer with no ac, might not fix it.

I've heard a ac decmpress before and it takes around 15 secs even thru a big hole to let it all out. But if you compress is locked up they are gonna have to replace it, and the orface tube and the accumulator. So they will have to pull a vacuum and charge anyway.

Hmmm, yeah this was only a quick hiss for a second or so. Oh well, I figured it'd need a recharge if I ever decided to fix it.

The only thing I might miss is the defroster when it's raining and the windows are up. You know how the windshield fogs up in that situation? Normally I'd turn on defrost and this is when the AC would blow cold air on the windshield.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, yeah this was only a quick hiss for a second or so. Oh well, I figured it'd need a recharge if I ever decided to fix it.

The only thing I might miss is the defroster when it's raining and the windows are up. You know how the windshield fogs up in that situation? Normally I'd turn on defrost and this is when the AC would blow cold air on the windshield.

Any good shop will blow it out and re charge it.

Here's what I do....just turn on the "ac" to "cold" and blast it away, if that don't work then a trusty towel will do it.

street_jeepKJ

Reaction score
so if you do this ac delete will the heat not work anymore?

my ac stopped working this summer (didnt blow any cold air) but im more of a all windows/sunroof open kinda guy so I didnt mess with it. I would love to gain a few hp and with winter coming dont need ac right now but will the heat stop working if I do this ac delete?

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My heater works almost too good.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so if you do this ac delete will the heat not work anymore?

my ac stopped working this summer (didnt blow any cold air) but im more of a all windows/sunroof open kinda guy so I didnt mess with it. I would love to gain a few hp and with winter coming dont need ac right now but will the heat stop working if I do this ac delete?

Yeah any of the settings will still work. Basically your "snowflake" function won't work. That "snowflake" on your console signifies the compressor turning on. With my '04, it turns on with the defrosters too.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It acts like a dehumidifier and also keeps the compressor from freezing (locking up) from lack of use in the days back we use to tell people to run the air once in a while in the winter just to keep it from locking or freeing up but that was then.

street_jeepKJ

Reaction score
ahhh ok great, thank guys for the info. I will try and get the shorter belt this weekend and do the ac delet. hopefully it wont be too bad of a *&%$ to get that pulley off haha

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahhh ok great, thank guys for the info. I will try and get the shorter belt this weekend and do the ac delet. hopefully it wont be too bad of a *&%$ to get that pulley off haha

Personally I don't think it's worth the extra 1hp gain that you probably get.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't think it's worth the extra 1hp gain that you probably get.

I agree....rather have that a/c.

When I used to run Ford FE motors, of course I had to have a/c. My school had a good mech class. We took a trip to UTI and I had then dynoed my car.

A/c on, 425.... a/c off 428....a/c removed 428

Note: these numbers are off top of my head. I'm gonna have to find the dyno sheet. But it dosent make a big difference. When the clutch isn't engaged its just spinning a pully.