AC compressor help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emily

Reaction score
Hi guys.

My name is Emily. I'm new here and I live in Miami, Florida. A few days ago my air conditioning stopped working. This guy I work with pointed out a grinding noise coming from the AC compressor and said I would need a new one. :(

Anyhow, a couple days later, it just so happened that I was due for an oil change. The guy at Jiffy Lube said I would not only need a new AC compressor but a condenser and acumilator as well (something about metal shavings have probably gotten into the system).

Is this true? My dad has a friend that said he'll fix it but they're up in Georgia and I won't be going up there for another couple weeks. I'm trying to get an idea of what this going to cost me! :(

Thanks guys!

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when you replace an ac compressor, in order to maintain warranty coverage from the compressor manufacturer you need to have proof that the condenser, accumulator, and orfice tube or expansion valve were all replaced. now if the reason your a/c is broken is just the clutch on the a/c compressor and not an internal failure, you can replace the compressor and be done, but you will most likely void the new compressor warranty by not replacing all parts.

I wouldn't trust jiffy lube to do a proper a/c recharge after the new compressor is installed. seeing how you are in florida, it shouldn't be hard to find a good/reputable A/C shop, do not trust discount tire shops or oil change shops to do more involved work...not saying all of them are useless, but the majority of them are.

Emily

Reaction score
Thanks, Chris. :)

I have a couple more questions. If my dad's friend is unable to fix it, I'm obviously going to have to take it somewhere to get it fixed. How will the mechanic know if the AC compressor's clutch is bad or whether it has an internal problem? Isn't he just gonna say its internal and to replace everything?

Also, I'm in Miami and my dad is near Atlanta. Will it be safe to drive by Libby there? It's over 600 miles. A couple guys here at work told me not to run the AC under any circumstances because the clutch could cease and cause the band to break (which would leave me stranded). But do I still run the risk of braking the belt even if I don't turn the AC on?

Thanks so much, guys. That should be it! :)

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Chris. :)

I have a couple more questions. If my dad's friend is unable to fix it, I'm obviously going to have to take it somewhere to get it fixed. How will the mechanic know if the AC compressor's clutch is bad or whether it has an internal problem? Isn't he just gonna say its internal and to replace everything?

Thanks so much, guys. That should be it! :)

if the clutch is bad (not engaging) then it will spin freely no matter what, if the a/c pulley will spin but the input shaft to the ac compressor wont then the compressor has failed internally, if the pulley spins and the compressor can be turned over then the issue is the clutch.

IMO it is best to replace the entire compressor and clutch assembly with a brand new unit. especially for someone who lives in a high heat/high humidity climate.

the tech won't know for sure if their are metal shavings in the system until they pull the compressor, even then I think any metal shavings/debris would be caught in the accumulator (which has a replaceable filter in it).

as for the long trip, do what USSdefiant said and you should be just fine.

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hold on.....is it constantly grinding or is it only grinding only when you activate the air conditioner. If it is constantly grinding then you probably just need the a/c clutch replaced. If it only grinds when you got the air conditioner on, then you need a new a/c compressor. Those are two separate mechanisms and each have thier own signs of going bad..... You did not provide enough info in your initial post.

Jiffy Lube is staffed by clowns with metal shavings up thier butts.

Latest posts

Members online