Ac clutch replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jade_Monkey07

Reaction score
Has anybody here ever replaced the Clutch on their ac compressor? Mine won't engage unless I hit it with something. The whole front assembly looks a little rusty. I tried dousing it with rust penetrator/preventer. Still need to whack it before it will engage.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If you hit it and it engages it may very well be that the clutch gap is too wide.
The AC gap required is 0.0169 - 0.0319"
Or the coil magnet is not strong enough to engage.
I sanded my rust off the clutch / gap using fine emery cloth. Then used silicone spray.
There are youtube videos on adjusting gaps & clutch replacement, but could not find one for a KJ.
It would also be good to know what the high/low side pressure are, just to confirm they are within specs.

Jade_Monkey07

Reaction score
Yeah I couldn't find anything kj specific either. I'll look into adjusting the gap and give it a proper clean. When I hit it (just a light tap really) it grabs instantly and runs fine till I shut it off again. If I dig into it I'll TOFTT and try to make a writeup.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if I could still use my window defroster while this is off?

StockBlack

Reaction score
The defroster would work if the A/C isn't working as you just need hot air to melt the frost. The defogger would not be as effective because the A/C is used when the defogger is on to dry the air before directing it to the windshield.

604KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isnt the defroster the same setting as the defogger? If not then I should rephrase my question... Since my issue is with fogging in the rain right now.
You must be registered for see images

Undercut

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with the snap ring pliers. I bought 2 sets now trying to get in at the snap ring, and both are too short/fat to get in there. Awfully hard to see in there too!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online