Ac clutch or bad tensioner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

farhopian

Reaction score
So I started the 04 liberty sport and noticed that there was a noise when the account turned on. Clicking noise. I looked under the hood and saw when the ac turns on the tensioner Springs back and forth and the noise was the tensioner hitting itself at the wide open position. The tensioner is brand new. Could it be related to my ac clutch? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.////// so I replaced the tensioner and the noise stopped however the clutch seems to be rattling. Not sure if it was before. Only when ac is on.

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it may be the AC clutch but if you still have the old tensioner, I'd put it back on and see if the same thing happens. I replaced a tensioner on a vehicle last year with a new gates tensioner and it immediately failed. Horrendous noise as soon as I started it up. Put the OE (Ford) one back on and much better. Bought a new Motorcraft tensioner and all was good.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does it do when you rev the engine?

Mine does the same thing, not full articulation of the idler that it bangs. But it bounces at idle with the ac on. Rev it and/or hold the rpm up its smooth. I don't remember what the old tensioner did.

Btw it's a brand new mopar idler pulley/tensioner.

I have no clue what the root cause is but I have done some limited trouble shooting.

old compressor had a leak at the front so I put in a low milage used.
But The tensioner does the exact same thing as before.
I might have a evaporator core leak, common problem to the commander. But it's held pressure for the last two months, no stop leak crap.

As the ac charged, the bounce at the tensioner become more and more noticeable. So I'd say there is a correlation to the pressure Turing the compressor. But I have no idea why it goes a way at slightly higher rpm. Or if there is something else like power steering or alternator that contributes.

No idea why it does it but if someone figures it out I'd love to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my old tensioner about a month ago started doing the same thing, i replaced the tensioner and it quit

mopar or not sounds like ya got a weak tensioner

specifically i replaced the belt AND tensioner as the belt had been on there like 25kmi longer than it should have as well
so one of those two things resolved it

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
ya if the spring on tensioner is weak or worse..not good.
I installed gates assembly...
57110[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

And a new belt (EPDM Good quality) Jeep happy now.
57112[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• GatesTensionerAssembly39120.jpg
    GatesTensionerAssembly39120.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 0
  • GatesEPDMSerpentineBeltK060863.jpg
    GatesEPDMSerpentineBeltK060863.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 0

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, the new mopar tensioner is too weak. Glade I save the one from the new motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farhopian

Reaction score
Got a dayco tensioner and it had much more spring force than the old one. The noise coming from the tensioner stopped. There is still a noise when the ac is on. How would I check this? Or can I just bypass the pull your all together?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score