ABS tripping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Stock suspension with 40k miles on an 06 sport. Have new firestone destination at's that i just rotated. Driving home from work today, 90 something degrees out, the anti skid activated for about a second when first hitting the brakes about once every ten brake presses. No dash board lights for anything. I did let some air out of the tires because they were overinflated a bit and to try something, drove it around the block a few times and it did not repeat so far......Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks ken

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HEY! You're in Dallas PA! I live in Pittston. What a small world. lol

Did you go to the Firestone @ the Wyoming Valley Mall?

They always over inflated my tires when I used to take my work van there.

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey chief rudy,
Yeah i live out in the back mtn, small world. No i got them thru a friend and had my friends at labars put them on. I think my fault for having too much air. Not really sure if that would cause the abs to activate, i do not see why it would, but i aired them down a bit a so far so good....
Down in nj at the moment, maybe run into you someday for some offroading...:)
Ken

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey chief rudy,
Yeah i live out in the back mtn, small world. No i got them thru a friend and had my friends at labars put them on. I think my fault for having too much air. Not really sure if that would cause the abs to activate, i do not see why it would, but i aired them down a bit a so far so good....
Down in nj at the moment, maybe run into you someday for some offroading...:)
Ken

That be cool. I used to head down to river run off area by the farms behind the Mr Z's (now weis) in Plains Township. About 1/2 mile by 1/2 mile area of Mud and Dirt. but the farmers have put up better gates since the last time I was down there. Soo.. no more access. Until I find another way in :)

The over-inflated tires could have been it. It does reduce your contact with road and bit and with the temps we been having the road could become extra slick. Specially if it new black top.

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I aired them down, checked them today and drove it a bunch. Not once did the abs do it again, so i am hoping this was a temp or pressure related glitch. If it was, never had something like this happen on any of my vehicles with abs......rather interesting....

Thanks ken

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With regard to you just rotating the tyres, I assume you brought the spare into play? Are all the tyre sizes the same? I have just mentioned this is a sway bar thread! Spooky! Hehe. If the tyre sizes are different, they will be revolving at different speeds and the computer will think the odd one has locked up and brought the abs into play. Just a thought. Steve :smokin:

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With regard to you just rotating the tyres, I assume you brought the spare into play? Are all the tyre sizes the same? I have just mentioned this is a sway bar thread! Spooky! Hehe. If the tyre sizes are different, they will be revolving at different speeds and the computer will think the odd one has locked up and brought the abs into play. Just a thought. Steve :smokin:

That is very true. That's why I always rotate my spare. Sure I have to buy 5 tires instead of 4 but either way the spare would have to be replaced sooner or later so why not use it instead of letting it go to waste.

redbink

Reaction score
I have a 2006, getting it certified - only two problems to fix. Twisted rear break line and the ABS light is on. Used a OBD2 reader and showed no faults. Was told I need a better reader to identify the fault for the ABS light, maybe a Mac Tool reader? The shop that did the inspection wasn't confident that they could delete it. I have 2 weeks to fix this to pass inspection.