ABS, ESP, Traction Control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdn beaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While driving my 2006 KJ I have the ABS, ESP and Traction Control lights all come on simultaniously. It seems to be intermittent and very random, but becomming more often. I dont notice anything different in the handling, however, from time to time, I can feel a slight pulse in the brake pedal while braking.

Any help or suggestions on what may be causing the issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Sorry can't help ya with that ... my KJ doesn't have any of that fancy stuff.
But how is your battery? A weak battery makes these things do some pretty weird stuff.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your ABS sensors that plug into the front hubs. If the wire comes loose from its clips it can rub on suspension parts and or the rotor. I have replaced two so far. I zip tie them in place now.

Last edited:

cdn beaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Ill try to get ahold of a scanner to pull the codes to help narrow down the problem. In the mean time Ill have alook at all 4 wheels and see if I have any obvious problems. Thanks again.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get it scanned - realize that regular scanners don't read ABS. I've heard some Autozones can, and actually it seemed like I remember reading some Advance Auto can as well.

Mine was bad in the passenger side rear abs harness at 50k miles. Internal breaks in the wire. Rebuilt the harness (using the same wheel speed sensor - 96k on the sensor and it's still kickin'). Driver's side harness shit the bed at 90k.

You can get the harness connector for like $15ish from a dealer. Buy some wiring, and repair it yourself. The ABS wiring exits the passenger cabin through a grommet under the rear seat. Get under the vehicle and trace it back up from the wheel to the floor pan. I spliced it under the rear seat inside the cabin because 1) I didn't know where the break was in the wire, and 2) I wanted the splice out of the elements as much as possible.

If you do a search, there are a handful of threads on this.

Last edited:

rawrblaah

Reaction score
Hi. I have also been having the ABS, ESP, and Traction Control lights go off simultaneously. It started off being just at random times that it would come on and then off. Now, when I start my car, it just come right on while I'm parked. I haven't noticed the pulsing in the breaks though. I did just have it in the shop and it turns out that my sensor was corroded and needed to be replaced as well as my wheel bearing hub needed to be replaced. So I did that and with in 5 minutes of having it out of the mechanic's hands it came back on! I plan on bringing it back on Monday but would love some ideas that I could have them check to see what's wrong that they haven't figured out yet.

Please let me know. I have an '06 Jeep Liberty Sport. Also put it in simple terms since I'm a chick who doesn't know anything about cars and just hoping to get her car back to normal. Thanks!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have also been having the ABS, ESP, and Traction Control lights go off simultaneously. It started off being just at random times that it would come on and then off. Now, when I start my car, it just come right on while I'm parked. I haven't noticed the pulsing in the breaks though. I did just have it in the shop and it turns out that my sensor was corroded and needed to be replaced as well as my wheel bearing hub needed to be replaced. So I did that and with in 5 minutes of having it out of the mechanic's hands it came back on! I plan on bringing it back on Monday but would love some ideas that I could have them check to see what's wrong that they haven't figured out yet.

Please let me know. I have an '06 Jeep Liberty Sport. Also put it in simple terms since I'm a chick who doesn't know anything about cars and just hoping to get her car back to normal. Thanks!

Read my post, it's a good chance that's it - wiring harness. I had the exact same symptoms.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they only replaced the front hub and sensor / wire on one side it could also be that the other side is bad as well. Or the rear like Atrus said.

rawrblaah

Reaction score
Get it scanned - realize that regular scanners don't read ABS. I've heard some Autozones can, and actually it seemed like I remember reading some Advance Auto can as well.

Mine was bad in the passenger side rear abs harness at 50k miles. Internal breaks in the wire. Rebuilt the harness (using the same wheel speed sensor - 96k on the sensor and it's still kickin'). Driver's side harness shit the bed at 90k.

You can get the harness connector for like $15ish from a dealer. Buy some wiring, and repair it yourself. The ABS wiring exits the passenger cabin through a grommet under the rear seat. Get under the vehicle and trace it back up from the wheel to the floor pan. I spliced it under the rear seat inside the cabin because 1) I didn't know where the break was in the wire, and 2) I wanted the splice out of the elements as much as possible.

If you do a search, there are a handful of threads on this.

I just got a new harness put on prior to posting my original post. So it must be something else. And also, now I'm feeling the pulsating/vibration in the breaks. My fiancé thinks I have warped roters.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a new harness put on prior to posting my original post. So it must be something else. And also, now I'm feeling the pulsating/vibration in the breaks. My fiancé thinks I have warped roters.

May be worth taking it to a dealer and paying to get it diagnosed. I believe their scantool can pinpoint the wheel that's giving the error.

Rotors could be warped, that's no biggie, but I don't think it'd cause any ABS light issue.

FWIW, I put Brakemotives on my 2007 - $154 shipped for 4 rotors and pads, and I absolutely love them. Running their slotted rotors on my '00 Camaro SS as well.

cdn beaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive finally had an opportunity to check my codes. I get the following codes:

P0306
P0700
U0002

I don't have a check engine light. Only ABS, ESP, and Traction Control lights. Any ideas?

Latest posts

Members online