ABS/ESP Defeat switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to setup a switch to defeat the fuse for the abs. On mine its under the hood ( probably is for everyone).
Because of the location and the distance should i..

1. just run the wires for the fuse and switch
2. do some kind of relay setup to use only one wire through the firewall

ive mentioned this to three people and have gotten three different answers.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recommend you leave it and learn to drive like a soccer mom and brag about going over that curb at the mall instead of around it :D

A decent switch inline of the fuse should work just fine. Just make sure to make the connections properly (solder and heat shrink tubing are great), don't let the wires just dangle, and make sure you go through a grommet through the firewall.
I do not see the point of using a relay when you are just using a switch to open a closed circuit on what I am assuming is not a high load.

This is just off the top of my head so I may be very wrong, but it seems logical.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
the only NEED for me to do this is when im at an offroad park.. those paved parkign lots arent much of a challenge lol

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel you on that. It has been a pain in the butt for me at times, too.

You and Marlon are wicked! I tried to go curb hopping like in the video he posted on here and my tires fell off!

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only NEED for me to do this is when im at an offroad park.. those paved parkign lots arent much of a challenge lol

Question: Is this something that kicks on when in muddy sloppy conditions? I have all the ESP / ABS junk and have never had a problem off-road. I do however stay outta the mud. I hear this quite frequently and am curious.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
i was concerned about my abs kicking on while going down the very loose sandy terrain we were in. on more rocky solid terrain i woldnt bother.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was concerned about my abs kicking on while going down the very loose sandy terrain we were in. on more rocky solid terrain i woldnt bother.

Gotcha. Haven't personally had any trouble in sand, but could imagine it possibly being a problem.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
for me on the sandy hill descent i want mywheels to lock and let ME decide when they move.. with the abs on i was worried the abs wold turn my brake pedal into a mushy mess and allow the wheels to turn anyway...

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I've never had my ABS activate on the trails - even before I pulled the fuse.

Not saying it can't happen...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
No ABS is better for braking in mud/snow/sand because it allows wheels to lock up, which would build 4 little mounds in front of each tire, which would kinda block the wheels.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It decreases stopping distances in sand without ABS, because it allows lock up, which then makes 4 mounds in front of each tire. Which creates more rolling resistance in a way.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
ok im confused. then why was it reccomended to me to disable my abs while wheeling?

Not sure. I have my ABS disabled all the time (because I don't like it)... but not sure why someone would tell you to do it just for offroad purposes. I understand the disabling the ESP logic, but not the ABS. (dunno)

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
interesting.. i think i simply misunderstood the reason why i was told i should remove the fuse then.. i guess ill just leave it in next time and see what happens...

all a learning experience for me.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
My ABS did NOT kick in when I was playing around in that dirt. The mound kicked up in front of the tires and I stopped.

I do owe you guys an interior detail.

.... and I still haven't done mine. ;)

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Me neither. Was going to do it yesterday, but then got busy with other projects. Maybe next weekend...

Latest posts

Members online