Abs, esp/bas, tcs lights on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grasshopperkj

Reaction score
Alright, I know this has been discussed here before in length, yet I still find it ambiguous and hard to follow, most of the posts are old and don't seem to help resolve the issue. I have the ABS, ESP/BAS and TCS lights on. I have replaced all four wheel sensors, still lights are on, ABS pump is still engaging brakes sometimes, at some stops, not hard stops. Feels like the ESP, TCS are engaging the brakes as well, computer thinks I am spinning a wheel or rolling I guess. My next course of action is to purchase a scanner that can read the ABS codes to diagnose which sensor is not communicating with the computer properly. I honestly don't see the reason for TCS on a 4wd vehicle, if I want traction control I'll just put it in 4 high. I have also had an alignment done on the front wheels, I have seen posts about steering angle sensors, clock springs...that's where the ambiguous and hard to follow part comes in. Thanks ahead for your time and any suggestions to the cause(s) and how to fix.

mrlavalamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This section is mainly for How To's that provide instructions for completing a specific job. Such as: " How to Install LED light bar".

You will have better luck posting in the KJ General. Maybe a kind moderator could move this thread?

I had an issue that was similar, same lights, intermittent triggering of breaks at random times.

I took it to an autoparts store and they pulled the codes for me for free (my computer cant read ABS codes, just standard obd2). He tried two different computers and both said it was steering angle comparative performance. I thought it was clockspring and or steering angle sensor initially, but the parts were extremely expensive and very hard to find new so I went the junkyard route, replacing those did not fix it. I had been saving for a lift so I decided I could live with the lights on, when I did the lift that is when I ended up finding the wire for the wheel speed sensor rubbed through on drivers front tire. It was back behind the wheel and the wire was still intact, just rubbed down to the conductors, so it wasn't obvious at first glance.

Since you have already replaced your wheel speed sensors, you may have a short in a less obvious spot. Maybe try tracing the wires back, looking closely where it passes through the body/firewall, it may have come loose over the years and chaffed on the metal. I was also suprised to see how close the drivers front wire is to the exhaust manifold, with enough extra wire it would be easy for it to droop and melt on the hot metal.

To fix mine I cut out the bad section, soldered the wires back together and used 2 layers of waterproof heat shrink to cover the whole thing. I disconnected the battery for 10 min while I did the work, and the lights have not come on since (about 6 months now)

If you haven't had your codes pulled, I would give that a shot. Take it to a store (autozone, oreilly, napa, etc.) they will help you pull codes for free. But as with my case, the code doesn't always give you a direct indication of where the problem is.

grasshopperkj

Reaction score
This section is mainly for How To's that provide instructions for completing a specific job. Such as: " How to Install LED light bar".

You will have better luck posting in the KJ General. Maybe a kind moderator could move this thread?

Yeah, I noticed that I had it in the wrong place, didn't realize I was in the How-To section when I started the thread.

I have been to AZ and O'R here in Houston, TX, they don't have readers that can read ABS codes. It's either buy a code scanner/reader or take it to the shop. Don't know where the steering angle sensor or clockspring is, still researching.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I noticed that I had it in the wrong place, didn't realize I was in the How-To section when I started the thread.

I have been to AZ and O'R here in Houston, TX, they don't have readers that can read ABS codes. It's either buy a code scanner/reader or take it to the shop. Don't know where the steering angle sensor or clockspring is, still researching.

Some code pullers will retrieve some ABS codes but to actually get all the codes and bi-directional diagnostic control you will be spending well over $1000.

Just remember a code is just the end result and in most cases does not actually tell you the issue or part that is the problem.

The steering angle sensor is part of the clock spring which is located directly under the drivers airbag.

If you still have the OE bearings you should be only replacing the the sensors with OE sensors.I have run into more then once that aftermarket sensors are in fact slightly different then OE and don't work well or at all with OE bearings due to incorrect air gap.Then again for the front sensors/tone ring is all part of the front wheel bearings in a KJ/KK is just a complete waste replacing just the sensor,replace the whole bearing assembly(comes with the sensor already installed).

Another common issue is bad wiring.

And another common issue is corrosion or damage to the tone rings that require the complete front wheel bearing replacement or rear axle replacement.