A/C not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kamileon

Reaction score
I have an 02 3.7l kj limited. On my drive home today my a/c was blowing ice cold. Got onto the freeway and when I got up to speed 65 mph it started blowing warm air. Got off the freeway and slowed down, 45 mph and it started blowing cold again. Back on the freeway and speed and warm again. Anyone else had this problem or know where to start looking? Oh and its 115 degrees today but has been all week and this just started today, been working fine till today.

kamileon

Reaction score
Yea, that was going to be my first check and hoping that is what it is. I do remember on my Dodge Ram we had an issue with what was called an air gap. It was the gap in the pully on the compressor. I'd that a problem with the KJ?

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '06 is doing this exact same thing. And I'm in PHX too. Way to fawking hot for AC troubles. If you get it fixed post up what the issue was. Plan on bringing mine in to get fixed next week. If I don't melt first.

kamileon

Reaction score
So its still hot as balls here (115+) and the a/c has not acted up again. Been driving under the same conditions for the last few days and it has not duplicated. I have not been able to do a pressure check of the system yet due to someone borrowing my gauges and not returning them. Might just be easier to buy a new set at harbor freight.

I have been noticing a strange sound coming from the engine compartment the last few days though. Its a sorta rattling/grinding sound and loudest when I first start the engine. So today I popped the hood to find the source. It seems to be coming from the a/c compressor. Sounds like bearings bouncing around, sorta. And there is a burnt smell coming from it as well. The noise does seem to stop when the a/c is on though and it is blowing ice cold.. Any ideas?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So its still hot as balls here (115+) and the a/c has not acted up again. Been driving under the same conditions for the last few days and it has not duplicated. I have not been able to do a pressure check of the system yet due to someone borrowing my gauges and not returning them. Might just be easier to buy a new set at harbor freight.

I have been noticing a strange sound coming from the engine compartment the last few days though. Its a sorta rattling/grinding sound and loudest when I first start the engine. So today I popped the hood to find the source. It seems to be coming from the a/c compressor. Sounds like bearings bouncing around, sorta. And there is a burnt smell coming from it as well. The noise does seem to stop when the a/c is on though and it is blowing ice cold.. Any ideas?
Yeah sounds like the clutch and/or the compressor is slowly dying.The smell is from the clutch.

Latest posts

Members online