A/C Compressor Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theblueliberty

Reaction score
I recently refilled my compressed A/C system with R-134a refrigerant (my system was completley empty due to a faulty o-ring at the front of the high pressure system. I have recently replaced this o-ring.) and filled the system, according to the guage. Near the end of this process, I noticed that the psi guage would read about 50 psi, then the A/C compressor clutch would kick in, and the guage would shoot down 20-30 psi. Then almost immedialtely, the compressor clutch would kick off and the guage would go up to about 50 psi, and the process started over again.

I got some professional advice, and the advice was to bypass the low pressure switch with a jumper wire to try and get some refrigerant into the system.

Does anyone know how I could bypass the switch / where the switch it? I really don't want to have to go buy a new compressor.

2006 Liberty Sport 3.7L V6

Thanks for any help in advance!
-DAN

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the high pressure side reading?

You need to get the specs of what the pressure should be on the high and low side. Sounds like its just needs more freon and it should take it without bypassing that switch.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, you should always add it to the low pressure side.

The low pressure should be somewhere around 32-41psi. Add more till it stays on but doesnt go over 41psi.

To figure out if the compressor is bad you really need to be able to read the pressure on the high pressure side but it sounds like you just need more R-134a.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to try adding to this thread and will also start my own....

My AC seemed to slow down a little on cooling. Then today it just stopped. I thought no problem... went to the store and got a recharge kit, etc. Hooked it up to the low side and pressure reads real high. Press the trigger and it goes to zero.

Compressor is not kicking in?

I read about jumpering the low pressure switch connector which is back by the firewall. I put a paper clip in it. It seems to act like it was going to kick in, but doesn't?

I thought maybe freon was low and this would cause the compressor to cycle and I would be able to get some in. But it isn't working.

I am stumped! Help!

Members online