A-Arm rubbing on coil?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking to find a bad bearing like noise on my jeep and I noticed something wierd on my passenger side front coil.
On the first pic you can see that something rub on the coil and it took off maybe a 1mm thick of metal, the same rubbing can be found under the A-arm just behind the ball joint. I also updated a video of a play in the ball joint that dosn't look normal to me. That lead me to few question
Is that play normal or not?
What can cause it if not?
How the hell can the A-Arm touch the coil?
And, can that cause a bad bearing like noise?
Note that the bearing on the side is brand new, less than a month and seems good to me, no play in the bearing, it's not higher in temp compare to the other side bearing after running.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

megatone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that video shows the ball joint/socket is worn and needs to be replaced. First, get that fixed and then see if the problem continues. Dab a little white paint on the spring and the control arm where the contact points are located to make it easier to see if contact is still happening after the repairs are made.

May possibly need alignment....specifically, may need wheel caster adjusted. This is the angle which the tire tilts when making sharp turns. I don't know how this would affect the upper control arm since the control arm is supposed to maintain a linear position.

Could be a bad control arm bushing as well.....when a bushing goes bad, there is a chance that vibrations can be transmitted throughout the vehicle making it appear that the vehicle has a bad wheel bearing.

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all make sense to me! since I don't want to do all this by myself, seem that the jeep gonna get some time with the mechanic soon :p