5k and doing fine, I think.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BillyBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Well, it's the 5k birthday (starts to sing to himself).

My new (more or less) jeep has survived 5k, but I do have one question. Every now and then, if I leave the Jeep alone for a few days (not drive it) and start and back up it seems to moan a bit. It seems to be related to the tires and steering, but goes away shortly after I start moving (before I leave the parkade of my apartment). I'm hoping it's just lonely, but I have my doubts about that.

Could it be related to me jumping the gun and not letting it warm up enough? Or do you think it's related to anything else. I haven't done my 5k oil change either. Only happens when I leave it for a while, like a few days and doesn't come back during the week. Other than that I am not experiencing any other problems.

I'm still a newbie to the Jeep universe, any help is always appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Attachments

• 5k.jpg
    5k.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

BillyBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's just around the corner, hmm Canadian Winters :) Albertan winters :|

Added a picture to my main post, was having problems with linking an image.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,
Either my Jeep is special or Jennifer and I are special (Don't answer that! I know I'm opening myself up for a whole host of comments!:D ) but our Jeep doesn't moan now or in the winter! The only weird thing that we have noticed is, when the KJ has less than half a tank or lower and we are going for a journey (40 miles) to buy cheap gas, it runs really rough upon starting cold and we let it warm up a little longer than usual, even then the first few miles (like 3-5miles) the Jeep stutters then goes away all together. And only when the tank is less than 40 to 35 % full.
When the tank is full it doesn't happen at all!
Special?

Ryan

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definitely let it idle for a few seconds to get oil pressure up, and I take it easy on the gas until it's warmed up. I feel that's even more important on an engine with mixed materials - i.e., cast block aluminum heads due to the differing warmup/expansion rates.

I've heard both - in the winter you should let it really warm up, and I've also heard that's not that good for it as it's running rich and you could be really soaking the cylinders in fuel and have it washing into the oil. I had a remote starter on my last car, and I'd use it every time I could (plus, I had a 180* thermostat, so cold in the winter!).

My only issue at 4800 miles? Seems that the rear axle howls a little on deceleration. Kinda sounds like a gyroscope...."woooooooooooooo" decreasing in pitch. Is that kinda normal on a KJ? I have a buddy who's an engineer at American Axle, works on harmonics. I was going to have him listen. If it's messed, I want to get it in before I start playing with the suspension because we all know it'll be blamed on that if there is an issue.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Ouch, taking off right after startup? I see people do that all the time, I never do THAT. I will see people at the store for example turn the key then immediately shift into drive or reverse and not even give the transmission enough time to actually get into gear! That can't be good.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I cringe at that one. Seems like the starter isn't even done spinning yet and they are half out of the parking spot. Poor vehicle.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
You drive 40miles to get gas? :confused:

I usually let mine warm up at least 30sec-1min before taking off.

Yup, if I buy gas in town, I pay up to 17 cents per litre more. Go for a drive into the country and save save save. Bring multiple 20 litre Jerry cans and a diesel Jerry can (for my dads VW). Plus it gets us out of the house and to a different part of our lower-main-land and gives the KJ a chance to stretch it's legs and blow all that stop go short distance driving "carbon" build up out the tail pipe. Go to a couple of Dutch Import food stores (for like pickled and salted Herring- yum-yum!) and just make a day trip out of it.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you know me well you may be rollling your eyes at this comment but (cuz im always quick to complain about the dodge torqueflite).... I think there is a DODGE ******'ism that could be related, all dodge automatic trannys ive driven somtimes whirr or moan when cold at startup, wonder if its what your hearing, if this is the same thing then theres nothing to worry about. MY 2001 dakota did that, my firends 89 dakota did that, my dads 2500 ram did that (till tq was replaced w/ suncost), my CRD liberty does it. Maybe thats what your hearing, donno....

KJ2005

Reaction score
remember to check on the recall for ball joints that's the 100 mile present I gave my rig