522 Oil pressure sensor problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xxdazxx

Reaction score
my oil light has been comming on in the morning when its cold. once i turn the car off the light stays off all day.....only comes on in the morning......i changed my oil about a month ago and used a FRAM filter....i have been reading that they are no good... could the filter be causing my light to go on?

jeep liberty renegade 3.7

2003KJ

Reaction score
It's entirely possible. Fram's are known to be pretty crappy filters. The guts of them tend to collapse, therefore not filtering, or porrly filtering, which would drop the oil pressure and possibly make the light come on.

Just to varify, have you checked the oil level to make sure it's still full?

Try getting a better filter (i recommend Napa Gold) and topping it back off to see if the problem continues.

xxdazxx

Reaction score
thanks

thanks for the imput, i check my oil and it was fine, how much is this sensor and is it hard to change? if its not that much id just rather do it myself and not have to deal with a dealership. thanks agin!

2003KJ

Reaction score
It might not be the sensor, it might be the filter.

I havent heard of an oil pressure sensor going out on the KJ yet.

xxdazxx

Reaction score
the fram filter thats in there now has been in for about 2 months, do you think it just crapped out?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
xxdazxx said:
the fram filter thats in there now has been in for about 2 months, do you think it just crapped out?

Thats hard to tell. Ive heard that fram ***** but I do not believe an oil filter can block oil flow. They have a bypass to keep just the from happening. Ive never looked but read that the oil pressure sending unit is right beside the oil filter. Funny that ive been under there a hundred times and never seen it. You could call an autoparts store to see how much they are.. Couldnt hurt if they dont cost to much. O:)

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Thats hard to tell. Ive heard that fram ***** but I do not believe an oil filter can block oil flow. They have a bypass to keep just the from happening.

Thats what i meant...lol. Somewhere on the net i ran across a site of somebody who took several of the most popular brands of oil filters...fram, K&N, wix, Napa Gold (also a wix brand) and i believe Mobil 1....cut them open and compared the differences. The fram was rated the worst (poor quality, cheaply built) and the Wix and Napa gold (basically the same) K&N and Mobil pretty much came in about the same place...it was just a difference of cost between the 4.

NomadKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
jeepjeepster said:
Thats hard to tell. Ive heard that fram ***** but I do not believe an oil filter can block oil flow. They have a bypass to keep just the from happening.

Thats what i meant...lol. Somewhere on the net i ran across a site of somebody who took several of the most popular brands of oil filters...fram, K&N, wix, Napa Gold (also a wix brand) and i believe Mobil 1....cut them open and compared the differences. The fram was rated the worst (poor quality, cheaply built) and the Wix and Napa gold (basically the same) K&N and Mobil pretty much came in about the same place...it was just a difference of cost between the 4.

Is this the article that you refer to? http://www.shoclub.com/lubrication-oil/lubrication-oilpart5.htm

2003KJ

Reaction score
NomadKJ said:
2003KJ said:
jeepjeepster said:

Is this the article that you refer to? http://www.shoclub.com/lubrication-oil/lubrication-oilpart5.htm

Yes that's one of them...but there's another one i've seen before.