4x2 and 4x4 Full Time (Selec-Trac)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

so55

Reaction score
Hello KJ CRD owners,

I've just bought a 2007 Liberty KJ CRD with Selec-Trac. I have some questions for the experienced drivers:

1. Is there a considerable difference in fuel consumption between 4x2 and 4x4 Full Time modes?

2. Is there anything wrong (other than fuel consumption) in using the full time 4x4 mode (Selec-Trac) throughout the winter?

3. The engine noise is quite acceptable when the engine is warm and doesn't bother me at all. But it's quite noisy for a few miles after a cold start in the mornings. İs there any fuel additive -or anything else- that would help?

Thanks in advance

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive a gasser so can't help you with the additives. But I have the SelecTrac and can't say that I've noticed a significant difference when in 4WD Full Time vs 2WD. However, when I engage FT it's usually due to snow so mileage isn't a concern anyway.

There are times when I'll leave Full Time engaged - um - full time since the road conditions where I live can change from pavement to snow covered to icy and back to pavement. Rather than switch back and forth from 2WD to 4WD I just leave it in FT - I figure that's what it's designed for so why not. Never had any problems. And when off-road I'll use Part Time or 4Lo.

I do change the transfer case and diff fluids regularly - ATF+4 in the transfer case and 85-140 gear oil in the diffs. Don't bother with synthetic in the diffs - save a few bucks and go with standard gear oil. It's better for the diffs anyway.

Hope this helps!

Bob

r0bert38

Reaction score
ad. 1 Yes there is: about 1l per 100km, maybe more in wintertime but max 2l per 100km
ad.2 In Poland my friends switch on FT mode in fall and switch it off in spring :). - recently I've swapped TC (for 242 -Select Trac) especially for driving in wintertime.... This is the best solution for slippery pavements !!!! You can drive FT on every hard road-wet, dry,snowy.... . When you have snow near by handles you should switch on 4LO :), if near by middle of the wheel - PT :)
ad.3 This is normal thing in Diesel engine when is cold... fuel additive for diesel is against fuel freezing only, it's needed when temperature go under minus 10C-15C degrees, rest is only marketing manipulation