45RFE Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redcell69

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have an 02 Liberty Sport 3.7L 4WD AutoTrans and 152K miles. After putting in a Trans Drain Plug and doing a filter change CEL came on and I had PO841 and PO845 codes. Wasn't sure how much fluid was added because the shape of the dipstick tube tends to streak fluid on the stick. Apparently filled more than necessary. Drained the additional fluid. CEL and Codes went away after a day or so. Here's where the problems begin. When backing out of the garage it drives fine. When going from reverse to drive it takes a few seconds before you feel the car 'catch' and start to move forward. Other than that it would shift between gears okay. That hesitation happens when going from park to drive almost every time. Occasionally it would drive normal when going into drive. Another problem is sometimes I can put the can in drive and it's like I put a stall converter in it. I would step on the gas pedal and watch the RPM's go up and at around 2000-2500 the car would slowly begin to move. The last problem, which only happened once at highway speed, was the car downshifted to what I think was 2nd gear (based on RPMs). I moved to the outside lanes and slowed down til I could exit highway. It stayed that way until I got off highway and put the car in Park at a Light and then shifted back to drive. I didn't see anything bad when I dropped the pan to install the drain. I did a month or so later having a metal tapping noise coming from the front of the car. Could only hear it when creeping slowly. Never seemed to interfere with shifting trans or even going in and out of 4WD.
Anyone have any ideas of how to test the sensors or solenoid? I'll be dropping the pan to check if the plate popped out for the accumulator(?).

First time posting. Forgive me if I didn't follow some guideline.
Thanks for any help!

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While you've got the pan dropped, check that the filter is seated correctly and check that the side of the filter isn't split. What brand of filter did you use?

redcell69

Reaction score
It was the brand Autozone carries. The kit was the flat filter and the cooler filter(spin on)

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That might be the issue. Apparently, brands less than Wix and Mopar are prone to splitting on the side and causing issues like you've seen.

Drop the pan and see what's up.

redcell69

Reaction score
That would be great if that ends up being the problem. Easy low cost fix.
Thanks Leeann!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was the brand Autozone carries. The kit was the flat filter and the cooler filter(spin on)
OEM MOPAR filter kits include the redesigned cooler filter(spin on filter) which the aftermarket does not have rights to produce yet.The older style can reduce flow which causes some shifting issues.

Hope you used actual ATF+4.

redcell69

Reaction score
Just finished draining fluid and dropping pan. The filters look good (externally at least). The accumulator plate is not bent out, no bolts backed out or loose. No shavings in pan. Nothing looks broken from this level of disassembly. I have no reservations about getting the MOPAR filter kit. Concerned that it may not fix the problem. Is there a way to test the Solenoid or TCM? I don't have CEL on or any codes in computer, but could something still be wrong other than aftermarket filter? Trans fluid doesn't look or smell burned.

Thanks for your suggestions! This is a great group of people. I appreciate the help!

Latest posts

Members online