4-Hi.....How Do U Know When Safe To Use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MacAttack

Reaction score
I haven't bought my Liberty yet, so still have questions.

You can't activate 4WD on the dry highway. I don't understand why turning onto a dry dirt road makes it ok all of a sudden. How do u know when it's ok to activate without breaking it?
Wet road?
Firm Dirt Road?
Loose Gravel Road?
Sand?
Rock hard dry rutted forest road?

I've looked online, but I still don't get it. What's the big difference between a dry hard dirt road and a dry highway?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Dirt Road = Loose Traction. This allows the wheels to slip enough so they won't bind up. WHen the wheels are turned, they rotate at different speeds. Since the front axle is locked, this binds up the drivetrain.

Basically, if you can slip and slide, you can start using 4WD.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Pretty much what Marlon said covers it.

However, if you have the Selec-Trac system, which comes with the 4 Full Time setting, this can be used on dry pavement, as well as in the rain (pretty much "full time" like it says).

MacAttack

Reaction score
I still don't get it.
What does it mean for the wheels to bind up?

Can it be activated on any dirt road? Does it have to have specific conditions?

I'm afraid if I buy this thing, I'm going to ruin it. It sounds like you can only turn the 4WD at optimal times. My grandma lived on a dirt road in Tennessee that any car can drive down. Can you activate it on that type of road?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
When the wheels bind up, if you try to turn, you simply won't go anywhere. Your wheels may hop to release the pressure. None of that is good.

You won't ruin your Liberty. It's a trooper. I've done some stupid things with BOTH of mine and they never died or broke.

MacAttack

Reaction score
Do you think $18,000 is a good deal for a 2007 Sport 4WD w/ no options added?

MacAttack

Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
MacAttack said:
Do you think $18,000 is a good deal for a 2007 Sport 4WD w/ no options added?
Yes.

Good answer.
Are there any options I should definitely get? I won't be ******** offroading, just forest roads, logging roads.

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MacAttack said:
Are there any options I should definitely get? I won't be ******** offroading, just forest roads, logging roads.
Skid plates, cuz you never know when that rock/log/hard-packed dirt mound is going to want to reach out to the underside and say 'Hi there!'. And even if you aren't planning to go seriously off-road, tow hooks front and rear would be nice in case you have to help someone out of a bad situation. And if you think you'll be towing something anytime in the future, a rear receiver instead of the tow hook would be better. Getting the dealer to install all of this at the outset will save you lots of headaches down the road.

jimheem

Reaction score
It might help you more to understand when you can use it if you understand how it works.

When you put a vehicle without a "selec-trac" type option into 4wd, you lock the rear wheels and the front wheels together. That means that they HAVE to spin at the exact same speed.

If you are on dry pavement, and NEVER turn the steering wheel at all, you'd be fine.. but of course you always have to steer a bit. When you turn the steering wheel, the front wheels now have to turn at a slightly different speed than the rear, due to the distance they have to travel. Something has to give in a situation like this. It's either going to be the tire slipping, or the driveshaft or transfer case bending parts. You can really damage the system if the tire can not slip.

Now, when you add something like selec-trac, or on "All Wheel Drive" vehicles (same idea) there is a center differential, that is allowed to slip - it becomes the "give point".

So, stay out of 4wd unless you need it. You'll find that you won't need to use 4wd as often as you think, as long as you have good tires.

On that note - it's imperative to have good tires with a 4wd vehicle. If you have poor quality tires, in the snow 4wd is actually going to make it WORSE - for example if your rear tires are poor but your front are good, that slippage that is happening on your rear tires is going to cause the front wheels to spin faster, thus causing you to possibly to go out of control.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Corwyyn said:
MacAttack said:
Skid plates, cuz you never know when that rock/log/hard-packed dirt mound is going to want to reach out to the underside and say 'Hi there!'. And even if you aren't planning to go seriously off-road, tow hooks front and rear would be nice in case you have to help someone out of a bad situation. And if you think you'll be towing something anytime in the future, a rear receiver instead of the tow hook would be better. Getting the dealer to install all of this at the outset will save you lots of headaches down the road.

x1000000. I didnt get the offroad package and still am regretting it.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skids and hooks are a good thing. "cheap insurance" against more expensive damage and getting out of a "jam" without breaking something.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found out that 4HI (4PT) dances more than 4FT. Why is that? Is it because all wheels turn at same speed?

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin, define "dances". You only need to go into 4WD when you absolutely need to, the Jeep will tell you when that is. There's no doubt about it. Dry dirt roads are not one of the places you need 4WD.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
CRD4Liberty said:
hyedipin, define "dances". You only need to go into 4WD when you absolutely need to, the Jeep will tell you when that is. There's no doubt about it. Dry dirt roads are not one of the places you need 4WD.

I would say unstable. I have selec trac so I drive in 4WD (FT) all the time, and I go down to 4HI when I want to see how it drives. I felt that 4HI (PT) works best when you are traveling straight. If you have to avoid anything like obstacles or a hole in the road when driving in the snow, it will move you around and it is hard to get back to straight line because all wheels turn at same speed, locked.