3 weeks into my first jeep

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktmmark

Reaction score
well i brought my jeep Cherokee (as its called in the uk) 2.8 crd with some faults (got it cheap) first job was to fix slight blistering at the rear of the rockers, so used this as an excuse to make 3mm thick rock sliders and must say I am very happy with them :) next job was the heater fan only ran on full , so replaced the resister pack and that was sorted, the next job was wheel bearing noise on the front could not find any play or roughness even when removed so ended up replacing both along with new front brake discs and pads.
Didn't mind as was expected with 100,000 miles on a 2004 so what do I think of it --well I love it pulls well auto box is just right for the engine I also find it very easy to work on, but parts in the uk aren't cheap. it's my first American car so didn't know what to expect, I didn't expect it to have character but it has loads of it even the wife loves it and she takes it any chance she gets. lets hope for a long and happy relationship with the jeep as I also sprayed it with 5 ltrs of waxoil in all the rockers and box sections :pepper:

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Being able to do your own work will help offset the cost of parts. It sounds like you and your Jeep are off to a great start! :favorites13:

ktmmark

Reaction score
Being able to do your own work will help offset the cost of parts. It sounds like you and your Jeep are off to a great start! :favorites13:

Yes I am fully qualified mechanic of over 30 years, i am also an MOT tester (think you call it something else in the US) Here in the uk cars are tested every 12 months and all repairs to rockers chassis or structural arias must be welded repairs so no fiberglass or bondo allowed :icon_mrgreen:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i brought my jeep Cherokee (as its called in the uk) 2.8 crd with some faults (got it cheap) first job was to fix slight blistering at the rear of the rockers, so used this as an excuse to make 3mm thick rock sliders and must say I am very happy with them :) next job was the heater fan only ran on full , so replaced the resister pack and that was sorted, the next job was wheel bearing noise on the front could not find any play or roughness even when removed so ended up replacing both along with new front brake discs and pads.
Didn't mind as was expected with 100,000 miles on a 2004 so what do I think of it --well I love it pulls well auto box is just right for the engine I also find it very easy to work on, but parts in the uk aren't cheap. it's my first American car so didn't know what to expect, I didn't expect it to have character but it has loads of it even the wife loves it and she takes it any chance she gets. lets hope for a long and happy relationship with the jeep as I also sprayed it with 5 ltrs of waxoil in all the rockers and box sections :pepper:

The auto box on the Export models have the "Euro Convertor" that our American friends are so envious of...much tougher than USA models.

Hope the records show that the cam-belt has been replaced....at 100,000 miles it is due for a change if this has not been done already!

Make sure you only use correct fully synthetic oil in the engine and check that other oils have been replaced!:icon_cool:

Edit to add: The only proper manual for the Export CRD engines can be downloaded here....forget Haynes or anybody else: Download the 2.5_2.8 Export Diesel section first for the complete how-to as regards fixing the engine, transmission etc. and then if needed download the 2003 Jeep KJ Service Manual which covers the rest of the Jeep and includes circuit diagrams....2003 is close enough to your 2004!

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

Last edited:

ktmmark

Reaction score
Thanks for the link,thats very handy didn't now about the torque converter being different ,why would they do that
The cambelt on my 2004 is every 62,000 so was done a few years ago

Last edited:

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link,thats very handy didn't now about the torque converter being different ,why would they do that
The cambelt on my 2004 is every 62,000 so was done a few years ago

Not too sure why the USA got a weaker torque convertor in 2005/6 when they had the CRDs....I gather the "fix" for the torque convertors failing under the high CRD torque was to have the ECM re-programmed to de-tune the engine somewhat...a not very popular move.

You need to post your CRD issues under the CRD section here below or better still at the CRD section on LOST JEEPS • Index page

There is much more CRD traffic there although you have to be aware that there are some differences between the Export and USA models.

Last edited: