3 car seats in Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever fit 3 car seats in the back seat of a Jeep liberty? Any insight or suggestions?

ol-flattop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever fit 3 car seats in the back seat of a Jeep liberty? Any insight or suggestions?
I suppose instead of just laughing, I could add my two cents. I only have experience with one car seat in the kj, but if you haven't already discovered this, the snazzy convertible seats that can be adjusted to fit anything from an infant on up...well, they're a rather tight fit, at least in rear-facing mode. My wife's knees sit less than an inch from the glovebox (though she's a fairly tall woman at 5'8"). I can't imagine trying to drive with my son's seat behind me - I wouldn't have room to steer!

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had three booster seats in the back and that was a tight fit. I wouldn't even attempt three car seats.

jeepguy4276

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had 3 in mine but the weren't to wide and the snap in style I can get 3 seats buckled on the 3 bases then snap the seats in I've only done it a couple times but it's really tight I don't know that I'll do it again. The situations were absolutely necessary I have gotten 2 in will an older kid in the middle the biggest issue is getting the seats buckled.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
honestly, if you're needing 3 car seats, no one will look down on you for getting a minivan, or at least something with 3 rows of seats.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i had a two-year old when we found out we were having twins.
Each twin fit by the door, and we found the skinniest car seats known to man for each kid. Worked great. Kinda tight, but it worked.

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea well I finally got the kj on Friday and then the news on Saturday so.....

Seriously its a good thing I just don't wanna buy anything else because I got a killer deal on this low mileage KJ from a family member. I may try the booster in middle idea since my oldest will be 4.5 when the day arrives and hes a monster at that already weighting 52lbs and in the 95% on height and weight for his age and bigger than most 1st graders.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Where there's a will there's a way. I'd say the Liberty is definitely a good choice for a safe vehicle. Another member here bought one for their teenage daughter a while back, she got into a pretty serious wreck (totaled) but walked away. It has a lot going for it in the protection department. :)

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These things are amazingly strong. I recently retired from doing body work and back in about 2007 I worked on one that was in a big accident. A lady was texting in her then brand new black Durango. Doing about 55, she slammed into a string of cars that was turning to go left.

The first one she hit was a near new Chevy Duramax pickup, which was driven into the Liberty, which was driven into an S-10 pickup. EVERY vehicle except the Liberty was totaled. The Durango had both frame rails broke off and cracked the engine block. The Duramax was DESTROYED front and rear, the frame was toast and the cab was twisted. I had to put a rear gate and both bumper covers on the Liberty as well as about 4 hours damage on the left quarter panel. That was it!

You would never have believed that Liberty was hit by the Duramax. But I talked to the tow truck drivers and they described what had happened. I always wish I had taken pics of the truck and Liberty, but working on wrecks my whole life, just didn't think about it. The only injury in that one was the driver of the Durango's 8 year old son got a broken arm. That is one of the few hits I will always remember. I was so impressed how that KJ held up to that vicious hit. Never thought I would own one though. :icon_razz:

Last edited:

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.....wife and 3 kids in Liberty, Dad at home in recliner with beer....I'm not seeing the problem here.....

chuckles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These things are amazingly strong. I recently retired from doing body work and back in about 2007 I worked on one that was in a big accident. A lady was texting in her then brand new black Durango. Doing about 55, she slammed into a string of cars that was turning to go left.

The first one she hit was a near new Chevy Duramax pickup, which was driven into the Liberty, which was driven into an S-10 pickup. EVERY vehicle except the Liberty was totaled. The Durango had both frame rails broke off and cracked the engine block. The Duramax was DESTROYED front and rear, the frame was toast and the cab was twisted. I had to put a rear gate and both bumper covers on the Liberty as well as about 4 hours damage on the left quarter panel. That was it!

You would never have believed that Liberty was hit by the Duramax. But I talked to the tow truck drivers and they described what had happened. I always wish I had taken pics of the truck and Liberty, but working on wrecks my whole life, just didn't think about it. The only injury in that one was the driver of the Durango's 8 year old son got a broken arm. That is one of the few hits I will always remember. I was so impressed how that KJ held up to that vicious hit. Never thought I would own one though. :icon_razz:

Mine was hit up front early in its life and got a bumper and radiator. the guy who repaired for my cousin before I got said almost the same thing. Was amazed at how much this vehicle was "over engineered" by Jeep. Said there were supports and gussets and reinforcements in places that he totally didn't expect. A very stout little SUV.

Tcw0409

Reaction score
Yes you can fit three car seats. I have a convertible seat, a booster and a infant back facing seat in mine. It's tight but they fit.