3.7L V6 Misfires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motter

Reaction score
I this is a Jeep Liberty forum, but my 2005 Dodge Dakota has the same engine, so I thought I might ask here.

My 2005 Dodge Dakota (3.7L V6) has been acting up the last few months. At first I was getting no symptoms except a check engine light. The code read random misfires, and I was told by the Autozone employee who read the code that it was probably bad gasoline and it would go away. Well it did, for a few weeks. Eventually I kept getting recurring check engine lights (same code), and I noticed the engine would shake while idling. A different Autozone employee suggested spark plugs. I replaced the spark plugs, and thought I had sorted out the problem. Within a week, the engine light was back and the engine continued shaking at idle.
A new problem developed. In addition to the shaking idle, the vehicle does something that is difficult to describe. The first time I start it on a given day, the engine will shake at idle, and for the first several blocks the engine will not rev above ~1000 RPM, not matter how far I depress the gas pedal. The check engine light then blinks for a while, and within a mile, something changes, and the engine seems to work fine. After this happens it does not shake or have throttle problems for the rest of the day, but it will begin again the next day.
I took the car to a mechanic recommended by my coworkers (I'm in a new city). He had it for four days, told me that my alternator was nearly dead, and replaced the alternator. He told me that the misfire was not related to this, and that he could not replicate the symptoms I described. He charged me for the alternator replacement, but did not charge me any diagnostic fees for the misfire, because he could not find the problem. He suggested it may be bad coils, but he said he didn't want to charge me for coils unless he could identify that as the problem.
When I got the car home, I remembered that one of the coils had had an orangered rust-colored stain on it when I had replaced the spark plugs weeks earlier. I replaced that coil but this did not fix the problem. My father suggested that I may have intake or fuel injector problems, so I took apart the intake and cleaned the throttle body. The valve did not appear dirty, but I cleaned it up anyway. I also put fuel injector cleaner into the gas tank. The problems remain, and I'm a bit lost as to how to proceed.
I won't be near the vehicle for about another week, as I am still home for the holidays, but I thought I'd throw this on here to see if I can get a response before I go back to see the vehicle.

wiresix

Reaction score
Is the coolant reservoir above cylinders 4&6 like it is in the liberty? I recently had an issue with coolant leaking slowly onto the coil pack on cyl # 4 from the hose that sits right above it. It caused some intense miss fire at RPMs over 3k. Water from any other source can cause the same issue. If the seal around the coil pack is bad, I imagine condensation could be getting in over night, and drying out as the engine warms up in that first mile.

I'd pull the spark plugs to have a look at them. Plugs can tell you a lot about how an engine is running. Google "how to read spark plugs" or something like that to find pictures of how plugs look under different conditions.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the random misfire code the only code you get? Mine did something similar when the o2 sensors went bad. Just something to keep in mind as a possible fix.

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have checked all things and cannot find the problem. (Sounds like your not there yet.) Then google search TSB -09-007-06. It is specifically for 05-06 dakota's and liberty's regarding misfires.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the random misfire code the only code you get? Mine did something similar when the o2 sensors went bad. Just something to keep in mind as a possible fix.

Would O2 sensors cause the Jeep to go into limp mode? I can see how it might make it shake because it might make the engine run rich/lean if they're malfunctioning.

@OP: Snail Farmer might be on to something. I feel like if you were getting a random misfire code (and not a specific misfire code) and not feeling the misses, either the engine is not missing and the O2 sensors (which sense for a random misfire code) are throwing an invalid code, or the O2 sensors are causing the engine to run too rich or too lean at times. The blinking CEL means you could be doing damage to your catalytic converters...so BE CAREFUL.

Last edited:

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the limp mode because mine is a manual..

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your get the codes read we will have more to go on. until then we are all guessing! but we do know we have some sort of misfire do to the cel blinking.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any time you've got a blinking CEL there is something major going on. When the light starts blinking the engine should be shut down immediately.

The issues sounds to me like an electrical problem - probably on the ignition vs the fuel delivery side. Could be something as simple as a mouse trying to use wire insulation for nest building or connectors that aren't pressed tightly on coil packs to moisture getting into places it shouldn't.

Always frustrating when a vehicle is taken to a shop and the tech can't replicate the problem. Then as soon as you drive it off his lot the problem returns.

Makes ya feel like you're vexed or something :Frustrated:

Bob

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, the flashing CEL happens when there's a condition that will destroy the cats. When my O2 sensors went bad, I had the rough shaky engine and the flashing CEL. That's why I mentioned it.

Phil + Neela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the exact same symptoms I got with my Jeep. Same rough idle, blinking CEL, won't rev high, and I had a crazy loss of power too.
Lots of back and forth and figuring things out with the dealer over the course of SIX WEEKS...

Bottom line: Upstream O2 Sensors!!

Change those out and all those issues should go away. When they tested mine, they passed all the "tests" but upon visual inspection they were terrible. Replacement promptly fixed all my problems.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.