3.7 tear down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2005 Jeep is headed to the shop on Monday to find the source of the metal in the oil. I am hoping they find it when they tear into the timing chains, after that the heads will come off - is it worth going deeper?

A reman engine with a 3 year warranty (unlimited miles) is $2300 - I don't think there is a repair that can made by the shop that involves tearing into the crank and pistons that can be done cheaper.

If its in the timing chains/hydraulic tensioners what are some other repairs that should be done at 80K/10 years? I figured new water pump, thermostat, hoses and belt when it went back together.

Last edited:

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were you I would wait until you dig into the motor and find out what the problem is before you make a decision on getting a new motor.

dougmac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions....
Is it noisy? How did you discover the metal in the oil?

Be sure that you check it for sludge deposits. I just rebuilt mine after a failed rod bearing due to hardened sludge blocking the oil pickup tube and starving it of oil. If you see signs of sludge build up in the upper end, at the very least, you probably want to get the pan off of the beast to clean it.

Here is the thread from my rebuild: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/sludge-death-57906/

Latest posts

Members online