3.7 KJ Timing chain tensioner questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kaleb.Speegle

Reaction score
Hey guys. I recently did a rebuild on my '02 KJ. My left side secondary tensioner went bad during the rebuild process somehow. Regardless of how, I purchased a new one. However, the new tensioner pumps up, just like the old one did, but doesnt stay in that position, it goes up and down while the motor is being turned over. It doesnt bottom out it just goes up and down while the engine makes revolutions. Is this how its suppose to work?? I wouldnt think so, but Ive seen stranger things. Like I said, the tensioner is brand new out of the box. The right side however does not pump up and down, it just stays in one spot for the most part. Can someone give some answers here? Thanks guys!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I recently did a rebuild on my '02 KJ. My left side secondary tensioner went bad during the rebuild process somehow. Regardless of how, I purchased a new one. However, the new tensioner pumps up, just like the old one did, but doesnt stay in that position, it goes up and down while the motor is being turned over. It doesnt bottom out it just goes up and down while the engine makes revolutions. Is this how its suppose to work?? I wouldnt think so, but Ive seen stranger things. Like I said, the tensioner is brand new out of the box. The right side however does not pump up and down, it just stays in one spot for the most part. Can someone give some answers here? Thanks guys!

It wouldn't surprise me that there would be some movement until it is fully filled with oil and under oil pressure. It's more surprising that your old one took a dump on you - not much to the tensioners to go bad.

Maybe ask a local engine shop or an experienced tech at your Jeep dealer - or else one of the local wrench turners here on the board will chime in. Frankly I trust the guys here more than my local mechanics who I think a lot of - they just don't have the experience with the 3.7 and 4.7 engines.

Bob

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Sorry to revive a sort of old thread but I'm trying to figure out exactly what a "bad tensioner" would sound like. This is what I suspect I have but can't find a sound byte. I'm thinking bad secondary but haven't had a stretch of decent weather to pull things apart. Mine is a chatter in front more toward the passenger side. Belt drive is all good. Doesn't sound at all like a valve tick. Weird part is yesterday it was silent going to work and chattered on the way home until warm.