3.7 crank but no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HESSINGTON

Reaction score
im not to familiar with forums so im sorry if this is the incorrect spot for this thread.

i have been working on an 03 liberty 4x4 auto 3.7. it has a junk yard motor but is the correct year. the timming had jumped causing the asd fuse to blow so i re-timed it with all new components and in the process had rewired the entire primary side for all the coils. It has fresh fuel, fuel pressure is good,leak down passed on all cylinders,coils and injectors are both recieving signal, crank sensor and cam match up on the scanner while cranking but it will not start. it will catch momentarily at wot but never really runs with out the assistance of the starter. i am completely lost on what to do next. has anyone had similar problems? any ideas?

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, lets go back to basics, sometimes when you run thru a forest too fast, you never see the trees. You verified that the injectors are getting pulsed? Did you verify that you have spark coming from all six coils? You fixed the timing issues, and got the timing correct? How do you know the engine came from an '02-'03 vehicle, and not a newer one? If you say the junk yard told you, then the joke may be on you,lol. I would look for anything that may identify the year of the engine, pull the valve cover and compare the toner ring with a known good ring for an '03 to make sure it matches, etc. It would not be ther first time the bone yards have jacked us over. Ive had them send me flex fuel engines for non flex fuel apps in the past, and lie about it.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have been working on an 03 liberty 4x4 auto 3.7. it has a junk yard motor but is the correct year. the timming had jumped causing the asd fuse to blow so i re-timed it with all new components...
The points in bold are suggesting you were already driving with a running junk yard engine, and then the timing jumped on you. Is that so?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot really see why jumped timing should blow the ASD relay fuse.

Is the ASD relay energizing?

Try swap over the ASD relay or try jumper pins 30 and 87 in the ASD relay together.

Also are you getting fuel? Try jumper pins 30 and 87 in the Fuel Relay socket and see if fuel flows.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot really see why jumped timing should blow the ASD relay fuse.

Is the ASD relay energizing?

Try swap over the ASD relay or try jumper pins 30 and 87 in the ASD relay together.

Also are you getting fuel? Try jumper pins 30 and 87 in the Fuel Relay socket and see if fuel flows.

Chryslers go full ****** if the timing gets off, say a couple of teeth. They blanket fire all the ignition coils in a state of confusion, and it overloads the power feed to the coils as a result. If you use an amp probe on the power to the coils, it makes a very unique, and distinct pattern lol.

I think there is more to the story than what we know yet. Timing being 180 out is a possibility, but I also wonder if the engine was the vintage the boneyard claimed. Not that boneyards are ever wrong or anything lol