2wd off roadin'

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't do a whole lot because of my lack of 4wd, but I still like to play around every now and then. I found a power line trail that wasn't too difficult and took some pics....

View from the road...
You must be registered for see images

After I got to the top...

And then after I got her all cleaned up...

I took a small video too, not much but it's somethin'....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWz73jihmds

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, it did pretty good...didn't spin at all, but it was just loose dirt so it wasn't really bad enough to worry about. That ESP stuff is pretty cool in the dirt, too. I try not to get into anything that I can't get myself out of since I don't have 4wd. I didn't think I'd miss having it, but now I think I do cause there were areas I wanted to go but wasn't sure if I could.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Um, that looks extremely familiar. Where was that? I found a similar "Trail" around Powder Plant Road around this time a year ago, by Vision Land.
This was the result of my trip on that trail:

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um, that looks extremely familiar. Where was that? I found a similar "Trail" around Powder Plant Road around this time a year ago, by Vision Land.
This was the result of my trip on that trail:

You must be registered for see images attach

This was in Trussville on Derby Parkway....(the dog/horse racing track road)

I really miss 4wd....(banghead)

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice pics & video. By the looks of some of the hills, you did good.

Great color choice for your KJ....

Last edited:

2003KJ

Reaction score
Looks good! Nice choice in music too :)....and I agree about the marvelous choice in color as well.

Grab a buddy with a 4x4 Jeep and something to strap you out with, and go back and see if you can get through those spots you wanted to try...:D

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's normally what I would've done but everyone I know with 4wd decided to leave town today....oh well. sad2.gif It's not very often that I get the urge to turn off the pavement anyway, as I like to keep mine as clean as possible......I'm almost as bad as Jeepster....almost. :-$

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, you'd be surprised. Granted, I don't buy detailing products by the gallon, I don't even get the "good stuff", but I am a freak when it comes to keeping a vehicle clean. I don't spend 5-6 hours in one day cleaning.....I spend 30 min. EVERY day cleaning! :D

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
06 Liberty, do you have an LSD? or open diff

LSD wasn't offered for MY '06. His diff is open. What would help is the traction control. It sort of acts like a LSD or locker... it'll brake the wheel with no traction and the diff will naturally apply traction to the other wheel which would keep him moving forward.

This thread is making me want to get in my Jeep and head to Alabama.

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the traction control does help until you get one tire almost completely off the ground....then it's back to just an open rear end. I guess it has it's limitations just like anything else.

rhy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, so I've read that a stock LSD like mind will act like an open diff until when off the ground, is that right? until applying the e-brake will trick into haveing traction to both rear wheels thus both rotating? I have a 4x2 and I just wanted to have a better understanding of my limitations. all the advice would help, wouldn't be doing any extreme stuff... like moab

Last edited:

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with KJ limited slip, I had a Ford Ranger 4wd with LSD and it rarely reverted back to ONE wheel drive when I was off road....one wheel off the ground or not. Maybe I got a good one, or maybe that's just how they are. I like the traction control stuff on the KJ, but it does have its limitations like I said.