245/75-16 with lift question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cpliberty04

Reaction score
I'm installing a Rusty's Coil lift next week and have seen different answers about using 245/75 tires. Will I need to pound down the pinch welds or will I be ok without any modifications? Should I add Clevis in the front? I don't plan to do much, if any offroading, other than the beach and maybe light trails with Firestone ATs.

Really as far as looks go, 'filling in the wheel well', is there really that much difference in the 245/70 and the 245/75? I think it's only an inch or a little less in tire height between the two. I don't want the tires to look like doughnuts.

I guess as far as tourque and gas mileage go, I will lose more with the 75s than the 70s right?

Sorry, I'm still a newbie at this.

Thanks!

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most report loosing 1.5 to 2 mpg, about 5% perfomance, ****** kicks down a lot more on hiway. I see no advantage to lift for beach use. Spend the money on the tires, and another set after that besides.

cpliberty04

Reaction score
Thanks.

CRD4Liberty - That's what I was kinda thinking. Maybe I shouldn't install the lift. It might cost me more than it's really worth for me. I thought it would look cool but I didn't realize that it would cost me 2mpg gas mileage, tourque and whatever else may be effected. Rusty won't be happy if I return my kit. #-o

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a bit comparison, and don't get how 245 vs 235 has so much difference. Isn't it only a bit wider?

cpliberty04

Reaction score
The width is the same for the 245s but the 245/75 is 1" taller. Going from my current tire 235/70 it's 1.5" taller but I'm lifting 2.5"

235/70 is 29.1 diameter and 9.5 wide (current tire - no lift)
245/70 is 29.6 diameter and 9.7 wide (+ .5" taller than current tire)
245/75 is 30.6 diameter and 9.7 wide (+1.5" taller than current tire)

Some say the 245/75 will fit fine without any trimming and others say pounding the pinch weld is required. I've done my homework with all the charts, calculators, etc. which say a 31" tire will fit, but I would like actual user experiences before I make my decision.

Anyone using 245/75s, do you have rubbing issues or was trimming done to avoid rubbing? If you have side pictures with 245/70s or 245/75s installed, I would love to see them so I can compare them.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

R.Rabbit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...down the rabbit hole just ahead of Alice.
I'm running a 245/75 steet tire (Dunlop ATs) and have rubbing on the plastic covering the pinch weld and right next to it on full lock out when turning. My Libby is stock height and was 10" from the ground to the frame rails up front (11.5" - rear) prior to the tire change to the 245/75 from the stock 235/70R16
You must be registered for see images

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
245/75R16 will rub slightly for most people, nothing that is difficult to fix. If you are really worried about it then go with a 245/70R16. If you want to absolutely guarantee no rubbing then stick with the stock size.

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
R.Rabbit said:
I'm running a 245/75 steet tire (Dunlop ATs) and have rubbing on the plastic covering the pinch weld and right next to it on full lock out when turning. My Libby is stock height and was 10" from the ground to the frame rails up front (11.5" - rear) prior to the tire change to the 245/75 from the stock 235/70R16

Are you saying you're running 245/75-16's with no lift and minimal rub?

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reeeeeeally find that hard to believe. That it is 30.5 in tire - the same as the REVOs when I was going to put 245/70/17 REVOs on mine - but the rub looked to be horrendous and I am NOT going to lift it as it is my fiancee's car. Yes, the REVOs have some serious tread protrusion to take into consideration, too, but still. I don't think anyone has been able to pull off a 30.5 in without lift, so far. It is what is keeping me from getting a decent tire.

Hmm, would I have any rubbing issues if I got the REVOs in 255/65/17? Yeah, they are a little bit fatter by...maybe 3/4 in, but I am going to save a half inch in diameter with that 65 ratio. Otherwise I am thinking about the Firestone Destination A/Ts in 245/65/17. Only going to gain a half inch diameter over stock. Also slightly considering the Geolander A/T-S 235/70/17

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:
Otherwise I am thinking about the Firestone Destination A/Ts in 245/65/17. Only going to gain a half inch diameter over stock. Also slightly considering the Geolander A/T-S 235/70/17
You may want to consider Fuzion XTI A/T if you're thinking about 245/65-17. They are in the Firestone/Bridgestone group and are almost the same as the Firestone Destination A/T. I paid $130.00 each out the door, mounted, balanced, road hazard insurance that is not pro rated, free 5k rotation and balance when needed. I haven't tried them off road yet, but so far I've had no rubbing issues driving on pavement.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will check them out as well, thanks. I am just more interested in seeing if anyone else with 17 inch rims has tried these sizes and cleared ok. I don' think going over 255 width and 30 in diameter is going to be safe for no rubbing, so 255/65/17 is about as large as I think I should go.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the dreaded 17" rims also. Actually I like the rims but the tire selection is more limited. I think the 245/65/17 size is the safest bet for no rubbing - unlifted.

The 255/65/17, I don't know. Depending on the tread/brand there could be rubbing issues. Maby someone that has tried that size will chime in. I'm thinking you are going to have rubbing with that size.

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I meant to add that that Fuzion ATI that AZKJ put on in 245/65/17 looks good.

Dave

R.Rabbit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...down the rabbit hole just ahead of Alice.
KJ02Ltd said:
R.Rabbit said:

Are you saying you're running 245/75-16's with no lift and minimal rub?
yes, I'll take a pic tomorrow of the minimal rubbing. Usually when I'm backing up and turning at the same time which cause the front to dip as the rear raises slightly. They're not MT/Rs and don't have an aggresive tread, they're a street (AT).

The wife is "SERIOUSLY" opposed to a lift, 'cus our 16 year will be driving it. #-o "SERIOUSLY", what 16 would rather NOT drive a lifted Jeep? drive.gif I just plan on doing a clevis lift and a spacer out back. Something not really noticiable :-$ but will let me slip the MT/Rs on. But it will go up, oh yes, it will go up. Just got her into Geocaching and we're gonna need to go find some off the beaten track. :-k Little rubbing of the undercarriage... (whistle) O:)