245/70 or 245/75? (I am only lifted 1.5")

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, true. I was thinking more travel with aftermarket = more extension and compression, but you're right.

I think tonight will consist of me getting out the floor jack and seeing how everything compresses and clearances.

EDIT - 255/70's are looking more and more appealing...

245/70 - 29.5" Dia, 9.8" Wide, 40.7lbs
255/70 - 30.1" Dia, 10.2" Wide, 35.1 lbs
245/75 - 30.7" Dia, 9.8" Wide, 48.5 lbs

Stock SR-A's:
235/70 - 29" Dia, 9.5" Wide, 32 Lbs

So, 1" taller, .75" wider, only 3 lbs heavier, and priced somewhere around $440-$450 installed....Sounds decent enough to me...

Last edited:

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask yourself this, if you get the 70s are you going to wish you got the 75s? I doubt the 75s will get you more places than the 70s will, but on the other hand, you drive your Jeep everyday and the 75s would be sweet.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Realistically, I know it's not going to make much of a difference off the beaten path. I am really thinking about cosmetics with them. I do drive it every day. Since 5/31, I have put on over 11k miles.

I'd just really like to feel like putting on tires will add a measureable difference. I don't really want to be only .5" bigger. The 255, like Marlon says, seems to be a good middle ground and a compromise of what I want - not too much of a jump in weight, bigger, and priced decently.

Sorry guys, I know the jumping around is probably annoying. Trust me, I really appreciate your advice and the pics and whatnot you've sent. I'm a weenie with purchases like this, I'll beat myself up like mad, and in the end I'd realistically be happy with any of the 3 sizes. Drives my wife crazy. I'm an Auditor, I question everything ;)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Belle Tire pushes the Open Country A/Ts on everyone. They pushed them on my sister, but she didn't want them. BTW: They look horrible in the 225/75R16 size.

They couldn't push them on me because I wanted them in the first place. :p

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, not a bad price at all. Thanks Jeepman. Not sure what shipping and whatnot would cost.

Still debating the size. I was playing in the garage trying to measure last night...got interrupted. The wife works late tonight, so I'll go out there and see what my clearances are and whatnot.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After much debate and beating myself up excessively and needlessly....

...I just ordered 245/70 Grabber AT2's today. They took $250 for my 235/70 SR-A's, so out the door it's going to run me $454.

They have to order them, so they'll be in sometime this week :-D

I really wanted the 255/70 because of the light weight and it's the exact 1" of extra diameter I wanted....I was too worried about it rubbing. 245/75's would have been great, but I was unsure of the extra weight's affect and I also just don't want the headaches of rubbing. I decided to really be honest with myself, and I think the 245/70's will do me just fine with the least headache. We'll see how these fit, and in 50k miles maybe I'll end up bigger.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Atrus.....I think you will be ok with those. When you get them mounted and have a chance to break them in, let us know what you think.

Dave

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After much debate and beating myself up excessively and needlessly....

...I just ordered 245/70 Grabber AT2's today. They took $250 for my 235/70 SR-A's, so out the door it's going to run me $454.

Great choice! Those are going to be my next set of tires. Make sure you post back and tell us how they perform, once you get the chance to test them out.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon, I know we've never met, but you seem to know me well ;) I think that'll be the case, but these should be good and carry me for quite a while.

I'll report back with what I think about them.

The SR-A's didn't do too bad in the deep snow this weekend...They chugged though, but I didn't feel as grounded as I did in my Bronco with the BFG A/T's. I'm hoping I get that feeling back with these Grabber's.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Marlon, I know we've never met, but you seem to know me well ;) I think that'll be the case, but these should be good and carry me for quite a while.

I'll report back with what I think about them.

The SR-A's didn't do too bad in the deep snow this weekend...They chugged though, but I didn't feel as grounded as I did in my Bronco with the BFG A/T's. I'm hoping I get that feeling back with these Grabber's.

There's only TWO tire sizes that I think the KJ looks the best with:

245/70R16
255/60R18

Latest posts

Members online