245/70 or 245/75? (I am only lifted 1.5")

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry everyone, I know it's the SAME question, but I don’t have the SAME lift ;)

I am lifted slightly - 1.75" in the front via a Rusty's .75" spacer, and 1" in the back via 2 extra isolators. I can also do a 3/8” Clevis in the front, provided I can make sure there’s a way to level the rear back to it. Right now it’s got a very slight forward rake, less than stock.

So, if I were willing to pound the pinch weld, what would be needed in the front of the flare to fit a 75 without rubbing (if it's even possible)? I am cool with heating it up and pushing anything in, but I'd prefer not to cut on my '07.

I’ve checked the tire chart, and it seems like it says 1.5” would result in no rubbing? FWIW, I am looking at General Grabber AT2’s.

Sorry for the SUPER REPETITIVE question, I'd appreciate your experience/input.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 245/70r16 on my unlifted '07 KJ without any rubbing. According to the tire size chart on LOST KJs website, 245/75 will fit with "little to no rubbing". I would be willing to bet that with the pinch welds pounded down they would fit just fine. AT2s in 245/75 16 are 30.7" overall diameter, and 9.8 section width compared to the 30.6" and 9.7" listed on the chart for BFG T/A KO.

Link here

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh, very nice guys, thanks for the reassurance.

I called a local tire place. They want $720 out the door for all 5, and are willing to give me $50 each for my 11k mile SR-A's (Spare never touched the road). So, all together, $470 out the door for the AT's.

Bad news is they are on backorder for 4-6 weeks. But, if I can go in and get the paperwork drawn up and a deposit or payment made, then they are locked into giving me $50 a tire and I can basically use them for 2 months for free ;)

Now, to convince the wife that we NEED these.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either size will be fine with your lift and as long as you use the stock rims you shouldn't need to pound down the pinchweld.Though it may not be a bad idea just to pound the pinchwelds anyway.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now, to convince the wife that we NEED these.

Oh.....you REALLY need those. We don't want to hear about any doughnuts and t-bones in the snow.....unless it's what you had for dinner....:D

Dave

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks TJKJ, appreciate it.

Dave - I convinced her, She's all for it, said if it'll make the Jeep better and we get $250 back on the tires now, that's a good thing. Just need to check the finances between Christmas and the new carpet that comes on Sat, and etc etc....

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good gosh, I couldnt imagine paying $720 for tires. Thats more than I paid for my grabbers shipped from tirerack along with cragars from summit!

I bet they will say those SRA's are new and will put them on someones car that will proceed to get killed in the rain.

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
245/70 dakota all trrains and they fit on mine no rubbing, not lifted. i have a 2.25 front and 2.5rear lift now with 245/75 bfg mtkm and these tires barely fit. rubb in front and back just ever so slightly. i bet 245/75 at or stree tires would fit better tho, as the less agressive tread pattern is more digestable by the wheel wells

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Blake, how much was the installation and junk though?

(5) 245/75 Grabber's from Tirerack = $530
Shipping = $88

So, right there I am at $620 without mounting, balancing, etc. $20 a tire to mount and balance is fairly the norm here, so we're back at $720.

Plus, hey, they want to give me $250 for the SR-A's? More power to them!

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Heck I'll give you the $40-50 a piece for the SR-As.... let me know. I know they suck but I um... need um and you know why.

Please? :)

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We might be able to work something out Marlon. Like I said IF I jump on these, it's going to be 4-6 weeks out before I can get them in.

Let's put it this way....it's not really in the budget and I probably SHOULDN'T....but, for $250 credit towards tires, I don't want to kick myself in the **** later on. That's 1/3 of the cost of the new ones (I need an alignment too). So, I most likely will do it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only paid $40 for shipping and around $30 to get them mounted on the rims and balanced. I put them on the Jeep myself..

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Darn, those prices would be great!

I know this is the standard price in the area - my friend and I swapped out rims and tires on his TJ and it was $20 a wheel. That's with us bringing just rims and putting them on the vehicle ourselves as well.

Hey, no matter what they charge, for me it works out to $95 a tire mounted and out-the-door and it's hassle-free. No coordination necessary. I drive there, they install, I drive home ;)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Darn, those prices would be great!

Sometimes small towns have their pluses! :)

I got a set of tires mounted the day after Thanksgiving and my usual place was closed. They are new and still only charged $10 per tire. That was getting the tires taken off one set of rims and put on another set with balance.

Ive got the 245/70/16 on rims with 5" BS and they didnt rub with a 1.5" lift.

I would go with 245/70 just to save gas and to help with rubbing on the rear fender at full flex.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Darn, don't know which way to go! I'm just looking at the extra .6" of lift that the 75's would provide (I know, not huge, but I'll take what I can get!) versus the extra 8 lbs and possible rub - doesn't seem that they'll rub though? I don't have much articulation as I am running stock spring and shocks.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just called Discount Tire on Van **** and 18 mile. Called Belle Tire on 17.5 and Van ****, the guy already was dragging his feet on calling the General rep to see pricing/availbility. Was trying to talk me into Toyo Open Countries. Also kinda just threw out 'Eh, we can give you $20 each for your tires".

Discount seemed more enthusiastic and friendly, told me he'd gladly give me $50 a tire because he wants to be as fair as possible and get me in there.

Really, if I decided to go with 70's, I'd probably end up at $400 or just under that. Decisions, decisions. The smart choice would be 70's as the KJ sees 99% road, but bigger is more fun!

Latest posts

Members online