235/65/17 A/T Tire Choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Continental - Conti 4x4 Contact (second link) we got them on a ML350, they are good, but they have a lot of drag on highway because of their shape (or I guess the ones we have are wide) so they do well on highway, but I wouldn't consider them for my kj. They will stick well, though.

I am still stuck on forteras, still searching for people with KJ if anyone had them

liberator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Goodyear Forteras

I have the Tripletred and HL versions of the GY Forteras and love them particularly in wet. Got em based upon Cons Reports 2005 review of All Season passenger tires... rated No 1 for the tripletred passenger tires so I got the SUV Fortera version.

I had the GY Fortera's HL's and also the Tripletreads based upon Consumer Rep's SUV/truck in 2004 and last years Top rating for passenger tire who compare them side for wet, dry, handling braking emergency etc etc objectively and found them good too. I had the stock GY ST, GSA and also the Mich Artic Ice snows. The Trips gripped as good as my snows. I highway mostly and city with little or no off roading.

I buy the best tire on the market with $$ not an issue based upon CS report since I spun out on stockers long ago too. It rains here alot with some snow!!!

My advice is that the ratings on the tire shop sites are fine but are subjective to the individual based upon their past tire usage and don't measure them objectively... it's like I like KJ's while others like Explorers... all opinions and everybody has one...

Can't comment on others as I have not tried them on the KJ..

jeepgirl0385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got new tires. After a huge amount of fustration and disappointment, I picked the Toyo Open Country ATs. They have like 200 miles on them now. They do well on dry pavement...a little loud, but not too bad.

They went in their first snow/ice storm...and they are awesome. I was able to drive around in 2WD in the snow/ice w/o losing traction, which I have never been able to do since I bought the KJ new in 03. On sheer ice they were ok...but no tire unless it is studded will do great on ice.

They look a little wierd as I had only ever seen them on pickups...and the 235/65/17 size is kinda skinny. At some point I will get some pics of them up so you can see!

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tiresize.jpg

Myself I'm starting to think about going to a different size all together. Nothing I've seen in this exact size is what I'm looking for, and I don't think we're going to get that anytime soon.

What I can't decide on yet is whether or not to stick with the 17" wheel that we have, and move to another size where there are more choices, or to scrap the 17" and move back to 16" instead.

I'd rather keep my 17" for the most part, not only do I not feel like buying new wheels, I also don't want to lift my Jeep yet.

The tire fitment guide we have here on the board is basically for 16" wheels. If you apply the sizes to 17" wheels, there's a size in 17" that you can move to without having to lift. 245/65/17.

There's actually a few decent tires in this size. Goodyear alone has 5 tires in this size. They have the Wrangler Silent Armor in this size, which has great ratings and is a very agressive tire.

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodye...45&aspectratio=65&rimdiameter=17&sidewall=BSL

You must be registered for see images

You can also get BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A in this size, which is a descent tire too.

You must be registered for see images

So I dunno, I like the look of those Goodyears, the 245's are 29.5", a half inch taller than the stock size, but again, going by that chart, we should be able to fit that with no rubbing. The speedometer effects are minimal at 1.8%, which equals only a 1.1mph difference at 60mph, that's not bad at all.

I'm just getting frustrated with not having anythign to choose from in the stock size, and I'm starting to explore these other options. Opinions? (Aeh)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, I really need to get new tires..
I just came from the road and I was dancing all the way through, I know nothing will give you great traction on ICE, but I need something great on Highway, with very little offroading and good wet traction.

Let's get this done. :-s

I put 33k on my Goodyear wrangler hp's. It's about time that I get something reliable. They are good on dry and that's about it.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'm gonna end up breaking down and getting those Wranglers in the 245's. It's gonna cost me since I gotta buy 5 since I'm changing sizes, but oh well, I want a good tire.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Silent armors, you mean?
You think they will be better than other A/T s out there?

I was getting ready to get FORTERA's but couldn't make up my mind which type.. I didn't think the directional ones had enough tread pattern to cut through snow.

On the other hand, scorpions were looking good.

We also have Geolander AT +II at 245, which 1300ZUK over at LOST with exact KJ as yours got, and they liked them a lot.

Today I saw someone running wider tires on his sport. It was not only tires, I think the rims were sticking out. I was going to stop by him and ask for the tire size and to see if he was rubbing any, he turned.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
Silent armors, you mean?
You think they will be better than other A/T s out there?

I was getting ready to get FORTERA's but couldn't make up my mind which type.. I didn't think the directional ones had enough tread pattern to cut through snow.

On the other hand, scorpions were looking good.

We also have Geolander AT +II at 245, which 1300ZUK over at LOST with exact KJ as yours got, and they liked them a lot.

Today I saw someone running wider tires on his sport. It was not only tires, I think the rims were sticking out. I was going to stop by him and ask for the tire size and to see if he was rubbing any, he turned.

All the reviews I've read for them have been great, I'll ahve to check that guys KJ out, i'd be interested in seeing what the they look like if he has pics.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew they'd be tight, but they'll work. I know it wouldnt be a problem running a different spare in 2WD, my concern would be needing the spare off road and running a different spare being a problem in 4WD, so I dunno.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a spare, so I wouldn't mind having the HP as spare, it's not a problem at all. If we want matching looks everywhere, than I can consider replacing the spare as well.

Costco does not let you search by size, so I have about 3 options, local tire shop, costco and sears. I just need to make up my mind on the tire size and brand.. I would prefer 235 if I can find the exact fit, if not, then there is no choice but to go with 245.`

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
Costco does not let you search by size, so I have about 3 options, local tire shop, costco and sears. I just need to make up my mind on the tire size and brand.. I would prefer 235 if I can find the exact fit, if not, then there is no choice but to go with 245.`

For Costco do a search with something like a Dodge Dakota 4x4 or a Ford Escape 4x4. The Ford will give you 235/70/16's and the Dodge 245/70/16's.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did Grand Cherokee Special Edition, and 17"s i have came up, they don't have anything that tirerack has good ratings on.

I almost narrowed down to

Fortera Triple Thread
Wrangler Silent Armor
Goodyear Silent Armor (these have 17" and I don't know what's the difference)
Pirelli Scorpion (will post the exact make)
Firestone

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
It is a spare, so I wouldn't mind having the HP as spare, it's not a problem at all. If we want matching looks everywhere, than I can consider replacing the spare as well.

My concern has nothing to do with what brand or what the tire looks like. My concern is running the spare, which will be a half inch shorter tire than the other 3.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might be right, but it is spare afterall, and I think it will pull you through, unless you are in high grade terrain. But I agree, it could be a bug in your ear, and could be easily sent away with extra $200. :)

I looked around and did not see any articles anywhere with disadvantages of running larger than OEM tires.. or risks.. other than rubbing and mileage count problems.

I am still pushing for same size replacement if I can get, so I don't worry about spare or other problems. I found out that tirerack added local shop information.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
You might be right, but it is spare afterall, and I think it will pull you through, unless you are in high grade terrain. But I agree, it could be a bug in your ear, and could be easily sent away with extra $200. :)

I looked around and did not see any articles anywhere with disadvantages of running larger than OEM tires.. or risks.. other than rubbing and mileage count problems.

I am still pushing for same size replacement if I can get, so I don't worry about spare or other problems. I found out that tirerack added local shop information.

yeah, the speedo error is going to be very minimal. 1.8% to be exact, equaling a 1.1mph error at 60mph...not bad. Worn tires will show an error of that much almost.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
thecause17 said:
hyedipin said:

My concern has nothing to do with what brand or what the tire looks like. My concern is running the spare, which will be a half inch shorter tire than the other 3.

I stayed with the 235/65/17 size and bought 4. My spare is the goodyear but it's covered.

The alternative to go to 245's would be what you said. Then you must buy 5 to have the correct size spare. Then the cover would have to come off the spare as it wouldn't fit and you would just have to show it off.......

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't use cover anyway, and as for the size difference, i woundn't worry about that. You know those bike tire spares, even benz's come with that, unless you are worried you will get flat while wheeling, but i would still not get 5th just because of that reason.. My reason of getting 5th would be 1) i am showing 2) i want it to match. ;)

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever used or know somoene with KELLY tires? They go for like $99 each.

Mavis gave me $140 per tire on Fortera Silent Armors, mounted, done, free rotation etc.. It sounded like a GREAT deal. What do you guys think?

I think I can go through this summer with my wranglers.. Once it starts raining I will go and buy new tires, just before it gets cold.. since the prices will go up then.

I decided that my hps would probably last throughout this summer..

They also have
Cooper Discoverer ATR for $125
Kelly Safari Signature and Kelly Safari Trex (PD) for $120
Michelin Cross Terrain SUV for about $170
Yokohama Geolander ATS for about $120

Last edited: