235/65/17 A/T Tire Choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've got the dreaded 17" wheels and want to put on a good A/T tire in that size and couldn't find anything I liked.

My only other choice is to change the rims and then I would need 5 tires and rims instead of just changing 4 tires. Also I have the TPS so that would complicate it more.

I know this problem has been discussed before but no difinitive answers that I could find.

I want to stay with the stock 235/65/17 size in an A/T so has anyone found anything or running an A/T in that size ?

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello Dave..

is this because winter is coming?? a lot of people started posting about this issue, and I am following each and every one of them closely..

http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4857
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12971&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11496

let us know if you get to any conculusions. I would avoid changing rims for just new set of tires, unless they are pretty old or damaged somehow.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hyedipin..........Thanks, but I can't find anything I like there. I would really like a REVO or BFG A/T in 235/65/17.

Thanks, but I'm still lookin.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think tirerack got pretty good choices, if you end up getting something else, let us know. Good Luck!

jeepgirl0385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I so understand...I would love the BFGs or the Revos, sadly we are out of luck because they don't make the size we need.

It *****. I love the look of my rims, I never imagined it would be so hard to find nice All Terrains for them! confused.gif

I am still undecided. I think there are some who have put 245/65/17s on and you have a bit more choice. I just don't want rubbing issues...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok.............so I found another choice. HERCULES TERRA TRAC A/T in 235/65/17 size and I liked the aggressive tread pattern for my use. They have good sipping. They are not an LT tire though but I bit the bullet and had 4 put on because I hate the goodyears so much. Put about 20 miles on them so far on pavement and they are only a little noiser than the stock tires due to the heavier lug pattern. Just got them today. I would post pic's but I don't know how. I'm sure you can find them on line. I'll have to figure out how to post pic's some day. They were $559 out the door. I'm going to get them off road this weekend and I'll post back. We'll see, I've had BFG AT's before so I'll have a basic comparison but I'd imagine they'd be not quite as good as the BFG's that I can't get in my size anyway.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
go there http://imageshack.us/
hit browse and locate your pictures in your computer or your memory card
hit host it!
and you will get a result, choose the one at the bottom, "thumnail for forums" and copy, and paste here.

As for noisy tires, I don't think i want to put anyting noisier than the hp's I got now. They make hell of a noise on pavement. How about handling and wet pavement?

Hercules info [PDF]: http://www.herculestire.com/hercules/pdfs/terraTracAT.pdf

You must be registered for see images

I like:
<-- WOW

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far the Terra Trax are good in the mud and on the road. Quite a SUBSTANTIAL difference from the goodyears. Havn't had them in a rainstorm yet.

Hyedipin......So you thought the goodyear hp's were noisy? Mine were very quiet. The Terra Trax are just barely noisy on the road but you have to listen for them to hear them. The BFG A/T's I ran on my other vehicle were noisy but really good tires.

....thanks for the picture posting info.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see you are selling you GYs, good luck. You might want to offer them as individual or dutch auction style on ebay in case people want to buy single ones to replace blown tires.

On the other hand, if you get a chance, post the pix. :)

viking_driver

Reaction score
Good choices

I posted a new topic here - the best choice that I see in the stock size is the Pirelli Scorp A/T. I had them on 2 1/2 ton Ford Explorer Sport Trac crew cab and they were great for the first 20k miles. After that the next 10k were not so good and after 30k they were done. The poor life was offset by great snow and wet and dry traction - I had a limited 4.10 in the back and it NEVER broke loose. Compared to the Michelin LTX A/T that replaced the Scorps - that tire broke loose all the time on 2WD in the rear.

I'd try the next size - 245/65/17 - only 6.5mm higher, which is about 1/4". and 1/3 wider - rubbing is not very likely.

Available A/T;'s in that size are:

Wrangler Silent Armor
Pirelli Scorp AT/R and
Yoko Geolanders AT/Plus II

I'm probably going to go with the Wrangler Silent Armour instead of the Pirellis since they are much cheaper at my local BJ's Wholesale club and I know the guy there who'l get me in and out faster.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
November 2005
this is the top 5 in their A/T test.
Nitto Terra Grappler AT -- 80
Bridgestone Dueler APT III -- 74
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo -- 73
Toyo Open Country A/T -- 72
Kumho Road Venture AT -- 70

followed by
Hankook Dynapro AT RF08
Cooper Discoverer ATR
Firestone Destination A/T
BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A

============

On the all season light truck (like the ones that come OEM)
SEPT 2006
Goodyear Fortera HL Edition - 75.
Pirelli Scorpion STR A - 71
Hankook DynaPro AS RH03 -- 68.
Kelly Safari Signature --64.
Dayton Timberline HT -- 64.

on the other choices
Toyo Radial Open Country M410 in the 10th place
Firestone Destination LE in 12th
Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684 13th
Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051 18th
BFGoodrich Radial Long Trail T/A and LAST place

non of our choices were tested, other than fortera's.. will have to wait for 2006 tests hopefully they will do it end of NOV..

also posted here http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4857

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They make this size in all of those tires. Revos, yokohama Geolanders, but the problem is finding someone that can order them. Just b/c tirerack doesnt have them listed doesnt mean they are not made. Ill probably go with a good yokohama tire on my 17's.. For now I have the black cragers!!! \:D/ With now TPS though... #-o

jeepgirl0385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have to seriously consider tires within the next month as no one, not my bf or my family wants me using the tires I have in the snow...

So these are 2 tires that I have found that come in my size. I was wondering what sort of feedback you all could give me!

Toyo Open Country AT (Not as agressive as I would like....but come in my size)

Mastercraft Courser AT (fairly agressive...decent price, come in my size)

After a little research...also found Yokohama Geolander AT/S comes in my size...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still running the Hercules Terra Trac A/T in 235/65/17 as I mentioned earlier in this post.

Too early to really tell yet as I've got only 1,000 miles on them. They are significantly better than the stock goodyear h p's. They were good off road in the mud and they are quiet on the road compared to a set of bfg a/t I had on a prior truck. They were good on the slippery boat ramp getting the boat out of the water. We'll see what happens when the snow flies. I'll let you know.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave said:
Still running the Hercules Terra Trac A/T in 235/65/17 as I mentioned earlier in this post.

Too early to really tell yet as I've got only 1,000 miles on them. They are significantly better than the stock goodyear h p's. They were good off road in the mud and they are quiet on the road compared to a set of bfg a/t I had on a prior truck. They were good on the slippery boat ramp getting the boat out of the water. We'll see what happens when the snow flies. I'll let you know.

Where did you buy them?

I wish I could get the Nitto Terra Grapplers in this size. I loved those tires, had them on my Explorer and my Ranger when I had them...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thecause17...........got them at a Goodyear place in town believe it or not. (they said they could get different brands) Ordered them in the morning and got them in the same afternoon and installed and out the door at 4 pm.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
thecause17 said:
Anyone here ever run Pirelli Scorpion A/T's?

I heard good things about them, but did not have long tread life.

I started seeing a lot of Goodyear Forteras everywhere, mostly on Fords. (might be OEM). I am not sure if the ones I see are triple-tread or silent wall kinds (assurance). Check them out.

Install Blizzak LM-18 are great if you plan to get dirty in snow.

Scorpion ATRs got nice ratings

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm good on tires for the winter, but I'll probably need tires by spring. I currently have Goodyear Integrity tires, which I'm not even sure are made anymore, if they are, they are exclusively for Wal-mart or something, because I can't even find them on the Goodyear site. They were on it when I bought it. Seem to be an ok all-season, but I want a more aggressive tire next time around.

Edit: I found the Integrity on their site...it's a car and minivan tire...so you can see why I want something more aggressive. ](*,)