2015 Renegade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm torn.

On one hand, it's kinda cool looking.

On the other hand... fully independent suspension, front and rear? Yeaaaah... no chance at a lift kit ever being made for this, much like the new Cherokee.

:Rant:

Let's face it, Jeep is making these (Compass, Patriot, Cherokee, Renegade) to compete with CRVs, Rav4s, and Ford Escapes.

I wish Jeep would make something mid-size that's less hard-core than a Wrangler, but more hard-core than a Cherokee. Also, let's call that a Cherokee, huh? Or bring back the Liberty name, I'd be OK with that too. Probably more PC anyway.

The way I see it, right now Jeep has a problem. They have one hard-core 'Jeep' vehicle, the Wrangler. Then they have a 'luxury' SUV in the Grand Cherokee. Everything else is a soft-roader, only really suited for dirt roads, and not only competing in a saturated market but competing against it's own brand. None of their other vehicles are particularly more capable off road than a Rav4 or a Subaru Forester unless you spend big bucks on a 'Trailhawk' edition that only gains you a tiny bit more capability.

There needs to be something in the middle, there is nothing in the market in the middle. People just getting into 'Jeeps' need an intermediary step, plus not everyone wants a Wrangler for varying reasons.

Look at Chevy right now. I know it's a different market, but they just came out with a new 'mid-sized' truck in the Colorado. It's apparently selling like crazy to the point that they are having trouble meeting demand. Then there is the turbo diesel version coming out this year, and I expect it to do even better. This is in a market that the experts said was 'dead' and would never be anything more than a 'niche'. Last I heard that 'dead niche' has Ford really thinking about bringing back the Ranger, and Dodge considering bringing back the Dakota or a compact Ram.

Jeep needs to fill a 'niche' as well, and it's not doing it right now. If the rumors of Chevy coming out with a Colorado-based smaller SUV comes true, they may get a head start there as well, and then Jeep will be playing catch-up in a market they should own.
:Rant:

Whew. I don't rant like that a lot. Think I need a beer now.

Also, I'm not demeaning anyone for buying one of these. I think they are nice cars! I've seen a few Trailhawk Cherokees and they are sharp. They just don't fit what I want in a Jeep. Maybe the expected upcoming remodel of the Wrangler will bring it more in line with what I want in a Jeep, but then Jeep will be giving up on the harder-core off-road scene, which is sad.

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Hate to break the news to you, but I swear that there's already lifted Renegades out there. If only I could find those pics....

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to break the news to you, but I swear that there's already lifted Renegades out there. If only I could find those pics....

There's a lifted Cherokee out there too, but it's a special unit made for a show by Jeep, and you can't buy the parts to do it yourself.

I'm sure the Renegade will sell great, and it looks to be nice. I'm mostly just lamenting the lack of any middle-of-the-road options here.

Last edited:

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw one on the road today. Theres just something about that 70's AMC grille that bothers me. Oh well at least it has round headlights.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed it for you.:mexsmoke:

Is someone still working on it? Last I heard the various companies had given up and said, "The front end on this thing is horrible for lifts, it'd be too expensive to do right".

If someone does come out with something, that'd be awesome.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
There's a lifted Cherokee out there too, but it's a special unit made for a show by Jeep, and you can't buy the parts to do it yourself.

I'm sure the Renegade will sell great, and it looks to be nice. I'm mostly just lamenting the lack of any middle-of-the-road options here.

I meant aftermarket, not from Jeep.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 30

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I meant aftermarket, not from Jeep.

That's pretty slick looking. I wasn't aware anyone was making any, every time I've searched I've come up with lots of nothing. :shrug:

I guess time will tell if these turn out to be 'real' jeeps in that they can be modified into decent off-roaders, or if they will just be mall crawlers. I have some questions about the lifespan of the drive train pushing bigger tires, as well as the livability with a lift on a 4 wheel independent suspension.

Either way I think they'll sell a ton of them. I mean, let's face it, it's pretty cool looking (if a bit on the tiny side).

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw my first one today. Not bad looking but definitely funky. Not sure I could rock one but I said that about the liberty haha

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stand corrected. All of the pics that I saw were Renegades modified by Mopar.

I was wrong, and I have no problem admitting it.

Here is the link to the official press release and press pics.

Mopar-modified Jeep Renegade trio heats up Rio | FCA Corporate Blog

That makes sense. Mopar also had a modified Cherokee Trailhawk rolling on 33s. I got all excited for it, but so far they haven't released the kit and it sounds like they have no plans too.

Why must they play with our feelings like that? :happy175:

And don't worry about it, I wasn't exactly right either and was pretty ******. I apologize for that.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Cherokee with 33s was called the Dakar. That thing is freakin cool:icon_twisted:
You must be registered for see images attach

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is someone still working on it? Last I heard the various companies had given up and said, "The front end on this thing is horrible for lifts, it'd be too expensive to do right".

If someone does come out with something, that'd be awesome.

There is a guy over on the KL site, that feels it can be done and swears he has something he and an engineer are working on. They are using a "different?" approach than what RRO and others were using since the camber issue is enough to smoke your mind.

Now how successful it will be, and how expensive, and how much lift is gained remains to be seen. As more of the THs hit the road the market looks better if and when the issues can be resolved.

I doubt you will see anything to rival a KK/KJ and under no circumstances the Wranglers. Still, who knows.

Trust me, if and when it happens and I find out, you can bet I will spread the word here or Random Thoughts, or maybe the Cherokee thread.

Besides I have a set of RRO Super Sliders to put on.:icon_lol:

Clannad48

Reaction score
2015 Renegade

OK so over here in the UK I had the pleasure, yes I said pleasure, of having one of these as a courtesy car whilst mine (Cherokee) was in for the towbar recall. So what did I think:
1. It's definitely not a JEEP
2. As a car it's sort of a Jeep.
3. As a runaround its meaty and decisive handling will make it quite popular with those who want a mini 4x4 type vehicle.
4. Mine was unfortunately a BRIGHT and I mean BRIGHT yellow 1.4 manual - it made my eyes hurt, the other options over here are BRIGHT orange, red and black. I certainly got a fair bit of attention from other road users and pedestrians.
5. The MPG was exceptional - I was achieving over 45mpg - and I am known for having a heavy right foot.
6. All in all if I ever don't need my Jeep for towing I will certainly consider getting one - if I win the Lottery that is - at an on the road price of nearly £24,000 ($37,350) it is pricey compared to other small SUV's on the market