2014 Patriot Latitude 2.4L intermittently overheats at lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepDad

Reaction score
Daughter drives a 2014 Liberty with larger 2.4L (approx 110,000 mi). It's just starting to overheat at stop lights (intermittently). I've verified fans are working, and water pump is not weeping. I've ordered a Dorman complete thermostat housing, but will probably order Mopar thermostats after reading a few posts here.

Anyway, there's a lot of horror stories online about never being able to resolve Patriot overheating. Has anyone had a similar experience? Does a radiator flush / replace thermostats sound like reasonable first step? The only other options I can think of are water pump and radiator.

Thank you!

jeepDad

Reaction score
Another bit of information. I've noticed the overflow reservoir cap has appeared to have been popped off on a couple of occasions. The last time I made sure it was in place. Tonight, my daughter complained of overheating on the way home, not just at lights but on highway as well. When I checked the reservoir the cap was popped off and the reservoir was more full than it had been. Other posts suggest this could indicate a blown head gasket, weak radiator cap, or leak between reservoir and radiator. Any thoughts?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
Even tho I'm not overly familiar with the Patriot, the system does need to pressurize correctly.
Use a Mopar thermostat. I assume that the Patriot requires HOAT or Zerex G05 coolant only! If wrong coolnt used, flush time!! check owners manual.
I'm not sure if you are going to need to replace the reservoir tank & cap. Is the plastic tank swelling old? replace as required,
A pressure test of the system is the best way to go, to find any leaks.
Address the pressurization issues first & see if that cures the over temps.

jeepDad

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. The reservoir is in good stead, without any crud at all really. Same with radiator cap, oil cap and dipstick. All look good as far has head/gasket issues are concerned. There can be a very light film on the surface of coolant in radiator after sitting. I do however have Dex-Cool (orange) coolant, and you're right it should be HOAT (yellow), so I will flush and replace. I also have a new Radiator cap and Thermostat housing assembly coming from Jegs on Friday. I'll update with results.

Latest posts

Members online