2012 KK power steering pump pulley issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sunken0887

Reaction score
power steering pump pulley looks **** eyed on pump which I think is causing the power steering to be spotty(very hard to turn wheel at some points), get terrible burning smell coming from pump, hear loud whining, grinding sounds and sometimes see rust fly off it when engine is running, serpentine belt feels very tight, pretty sure the whole pulley and serpentine belt will eventually fly off, was wondering how to tackle this issue, should I change just the pulley? do i need to change the pump, pulley, reservoir and hoses or can i reuse some parts, seems all other parts are good except for the pulley and pulley mount?

if I have to replace entire power steering pump assembly and hoses how would I even get it off, on the KJs it looks easy as per videos I watched, don't see any videos on KK power steering assembly removal, a lot of stuff in the way, way more stuff in the way than the KJ, I see whats in the way just don't wanna take off more than I need to(yes i'm a DIYer)

anyone has any insight into this issues please help me out, thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
How long has it been this way ? If a long time and running cattie wompass it may have hurt the bearings by now
If it has been a long time then changing pump and pulley would be first things to do along with new serp belt

Sunken0887

Reaction score
only started doing this last week when made a sharp turn into the driveway and steering wheel became hard to turn and spotty, next day, started the thing up and noticed all I had mentioned previously(pulley cockeyed, burning smell, grinding sound from P.S. pump) kept it parked since then and not driving it until I fix the issue, so no, hasn't been a long time running problem, just wanna know how to tackle the problem

Sunken0887

Reaction score
okay, I was able to find a decent priced pump and pulley, but the pump doesn't have a P.S. fluid reservoir attached to it and looks like no one sells a separate P.S. fluid reservoir for the new pump, can I take the P.S. fluid reservoir off the old pump and put it on the new pump?

should i also change the high and low pressure lines as well or attach the old lines and hoses to the new pump or reservoir?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.