2011 oil filter removal help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparky88

Reaction score
Hi all glad to be here. Looking to change my oil and filter to Syn. Looks pretty tight. Any tips and tricks. Looks like it my be easier from the top than underneath?

samlesher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Underneath is the only way I've found to get at it. I flex the front bumper out a little to work my hand in, but it is extremely tight. The good news is that there's a channel below that catches all the oil that leaks out and directs it to one spot. I really don't understand why they put filters in such awkward spots like that.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is the way I did it on my 08. Remove front grille and driver's side headlight. The big issue is getting the front grille off. You have to pull on it to where you think you will break it. But you don't. It just twangs off.

There are a couple videos out there on it. There is also one video that shows putting a screw driver down on the grille near the bottom of the headlight, and pulling a tab back, which releases the grille.

I just pulled mine til I was sure it would break. But it didn't.

Next time I'll try the screw driver but that may scratch the front.
dc

Reaction score
Yes, that is the way I did it on my 08. Remove front grille and driver's side headlight. The big issue is getting the front grille off. You have to pull on it to where you think you will break it. But you don't. It just twangs off.

There are a couple videos out there on it. There is also one video that shows putting a screw driver down on the grille near the bottom of the headlight, and pulling a tab back, which releases the grille.

I just pulled mine til I was sure it would break. But it didn't.

Next time I'll try the screw driver but that may scratch the front.
dc
I did it the same way. New to me 2009 Liberty Limited came with a fresh oil change from Jeep dealer where I purchased it from. Keep seeing a small oil leak. Took off the grill and headlight, reached in and found the filter was loose by at least 1/2 turn! This by a Jeep dealer. Tightened it tight by hand and now no more oil leak. I don’t reach under cars anymore. I even change oil through the dipstick tube with a vacuum pump. Never even get dirty.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was very loose as well, and probably leaking at least a little.

The problem I see with the pump idea is that you are not going to get the dregs, the lowest part of the oil where the sludge might form or lay. The pump might only suck liquid, and the sludge is more of a paste, an ooze, which will ooze out the bottom, but not be sucked up by the pump.
dc

Reaction score
Mine was very loose as well, and probably leaking at least a little.

The problem I see with the pump idea is that you are not going to get the dregs, the lowest part of the oil where the sludge might form or lay. The pump might only suck liquid, and the sludge is more of a paste, an ooze, which will ooze out the bottom, but not be sucked up by the pump.
dc
Use synthetic oil. No sludge.

sparky88

Reaction score
My method. Remove battery. Remove horn bolt and just set out of the way. Reach way down in there and loosen and carefully remove the oil filter. I only hand tighten it so it’s easier to get off and put back on.
All by feel you cannot see through the mess of components. Never have had a problem with it✌️

Last edited:

Okok

Reaction score
Option 1. Use long pliar type filter wrench to loosen, then fish filter forward possibly spilling oil everywhere.
option 2. Remove oil channel thingy to provide access from directly below filter. (This is necessary if you install a front hitch receiver.
option 3. Install remote filter kit. (I was going to do this but neither of the “universal” kits I purchased had the correct adapters, so be careful)
Good luck!

Latest posts

Members online