2010 KK BRAKE LIGHT BULB MALFUNCTION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vellies

Reaction score
Hi there.

I am new to this forum. I live in South Africa. I recently purchased a 2010 KK Cherokee 2.8 CRD Limited and enjoy the car a lot.

Recently the left rear brake light bulb blew. I replaced it and it worked fine for a short while then stopped working.

How ever the new bulb, upon inspection, is not blown. Upon testing the light fitting with a fluke multi meter it was found that the bulb does not receive electricity in the slot that needs to activate the brake light bulb when the brake is stepped on.

Does anybody have any idea where I can start looking for the problem?

Much appreciated.

Vellies

Reaction score
Hi there.

After much research on the internet on the topic I found a discussion where someone mentioned that if you step on the brake with the ignition on, and any of the brake lights functions then the brake sensor functions.

That means one has to look for the problem closer to the brake light bulb. I reopened the light and inspected the first plug where the wires comes out of the Jeep`s body, having already inspected and cleaned the plug in between the first plug and the light yesterday. The first plug distributes sensors to all the rear lights.

I found that the pin in the plug that feeds sensors to the left rear brake light bulb became loose. After refitting the pin in the plug properly and cleaning the plug while I was at it and reconnecting the plug carefully keeping the pin in position, the brake light bulb functioned 100%.

Happy Jeeping.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum...what part of SA are you from?
I am in White River with my 2002 2.5 CRD KJ that I have had from new.

I also use a Fluke meter and have uncovered plenty wiring problems over these last 17 years...mainly due to a front-end collision with a tree while my GF was driving!

In the long run you need to try find a Service Manual online for your model Jeep if you want to keep it going well for the next few years...Jeep Dealers here are pretty useless.:(

Vellies

Reaction score
Hi BillWill Pieter here. It was actually your post on a similar thread that got me to solve the problem. Thank you for that. I live in Centurion. I bought the 2010 KK 2.8 CRD Limited mid June with 118 K on the clock. Full service record and only two previous owners. Last before me was 73 so the car was well maintained.

I did the 120K service with American SUV in Centurion but was subsequently referred to JC in Wonderboom area of Pretoria 083 276 3943. He comes highly recommended from a dealer in Centurion who sells a lot of Jeeps.

I shall definitely try and lay my hands on a service manual. Thank you for the advice.