2008 Jeep Cherokee/Liberty KK Spy Shots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
From Kheiron over at GM INside NEws

Kheiron said:
Fellow GMIers,
I was on my way to work today and took these photos while on I-75 Southbound. I am not sure if we have seen any, but here is some contributions to the GMI database. Enjoy and feel free to comment (the new Liberty has a Dodge Nitro/ Jeep Commander profile imho, but I love the updated headlights
You must be registered for see images

and I saved the best for last, (I apologize for the sub-par shots but lets just say I was "multitasking"

I do believe I said about a month ago they would be coming soon..... and it would look like a Commander. Guess I was right. (Rather, the person who told the person who told me was right, lol)

http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4150&highlight=mini+commander

If we can't learn anything else from these spy shots, we do know this... the 2008 Liberty will be coming fresh from the factory with Goodyear Wrangler STs!!!! Everyone rejoyce! ](*,)

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw those shots on the other site, but these are better, especially the last one. At first it looks like the Nitro, but the last shot shows it's a fake on the front. The only thing I hate right off the bat, are the side mirrors, they look weak and easily breakable, especially the hinge portion.
I think I could deal with a mini-commander. But would prefer a 4-door Unlimited Rubicon with the new 4.0 engine.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Trodo said:
Where's the spare??? Looks like the same 8.25 as well and rear suspension set up.

maybe in the rear cargo area? Glad to see they're continuing the 8.25.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would mean a temp spare. [-(

Here's what Milous posted over on JU.

NOT the Nitro, NOT the Patriot, it's the Liberty, based off of the Nitro platform. For one, note the rear hatch glass hinges which the Nitro does not have.

More info:

I was invited to a marketing / research clinic for the 2008 Liberty. It looks teriffic, but it’s different design philosophy than the current, rounded theme. It’s got a “baby Commander look, but changed enough so that it still looks like a Liberty. It’s a good 6 or 7" longer (with n spare tire on the back). The front end is a GREAT version of the Commander’s nose - and i seems to work better on the new Liberty than on the Commander. The headlights & tur signals are multi-lens units behind a large, rectangular plastic housing. There are small ai vents about 1" tall and 6" long where the side of the hood wraps over to meet the very back o the front fender - just under the A-Pillar. The vents on the prototype were not functional

The side profile has a glass / greenhouse that is nowhere near as tall as the current model’s kind of exaggerated tall glass. Think Hummer H3 side glass, only taller. The fender flares are still there and still trademark KJ. The rear end is very updated, clean, modern and has no spare on the back. It may have been a bit of an optical illusion, but the front wheels look like they are really pushed forward more than on the current model. Definitely not an overhang problem!

The interior is simple, but feels MUCH wider than the current KJ. They also had a Limited trim level that was pretty luxurious due to all the options. While sitting in it, you immediately notice that it does not have that “sitting on top of the world” view of the current KJ, but still has a good view over the hood. You notice a loss of headroom - either that or they had the seat cranked up to its highest position (you weren’t supposed to move it). The dash uses the current, DCX radio / navigation systems from the Grand Cherokee. The gauges are basic. The plastic on the door panels didn’t look as nice as what the current KJ has - it was more like a Chrysler 300C’s door panels. The back seat is much more comfortable and made for humans with normal spines.

Cargo area is definitely larger due to the added length, but they wouldn’t let you fold the seats down to see if they fold flat, etc. I did see extra power outlets in the cargo area as I was nosing around.

The only engine mentioned was the 3.7L V-6 and 4-speed automatic. No mention of a CRD or a manual.

--Kief

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Wanna know what would make this KK look MUCH better? if the license plate was mounted in the KJ's position. Also, that character line below the glass from the front and rear doors that doesn't continue to the cargo window.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they discontinue current KJ and replace it with this one.. :-#
I am going to puke :-& It looks like it is ready to roll over, way to high for extreme offroad and bulky, boxy, and looks nowhere near dynamic as current KJ.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it does look like it's going that direction for the entire line up, harder edges, squared look. Looks like something similar to the Cherokee is coming back.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Patriot was true cherokee like vehicle.. Right now the most curvy and true Solid looking of the bunch is still KJ.

Boilermaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was surprised that the first few responses here were positive, i think to almost to the person everybody at LOST hated it. I don't like the commander at all, and i didn't like what i saw in the above pictures.
Right now the most curvy and true Solid looking of the bunch is still KJ.
I hope they soften the lines up some in the final vehicle, but if harder edges are the look Jeeps want to establish, i won't hold my breath. At least the KJ will have a unique place among jeeps with its look, the way the probably discontinued renegade has among KJs.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't get it, jeep signature is round headlamp (in addition to the "grill"), yet they remove it from these (if this is jeep) just like they did from grand cherokee and commander, but left it on (or added to) compass.

They should make up their mind, maybe use round headlamps for off-road vehicle or off-road capable vehicles, and leave the blocky lamps for on-road designed vehicle.

And what is up with that they are making foglamps smaller and higher.. I see a huge difference between fog performance (or total darkness performance) of KJ 04 and KJ 06.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I can tell under all those covers, it don't like it. I think if DC just continued the KJ series with a flat hood, that would have been better. I don't see why they need to redesign the Liberty, it only has been around for 5 years.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
jeepkj02 said:
From what I can tell under all those covers, it don't like it. I think if DC just continued the KJ series with a flat hood, that would have been better. I don't see why they need to redesign the Liberty, it only has been around for 5 years.
The auto industry changes every 3-6 years. The Liberty's redesign is right on target. You just can't keep a vehicle on the market for 10 years anymore. Maybe the Wrangler might be able to get away with it...

The KK still has round headlights? They're just in a square enclosure.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
I thought the Nitro was based off on the Liberty Platform...

and now the New KK's will be based off of the Nitro platform which was based off on the Liberty platform...hm.....

looks good.....

but on first impressions, i think the 02-04's are the best of the bunch...the current ones...I really cannot get over the front end...

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the renegade flat hood style like I have but I think those spy shots look too close to the Honda Smellement.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
-=JoN=- said:
I thought the Nitro was based off on the Liberty Platform...

and now the New KK's will be based off of the Nitro platform which was based off on the Liberty platform...hm.....

looks good.....

but on first impressions, i think the 02-04's are the best of the bunch...the current ones...I really cannot get over the front end...

That's the one thing I hate about my 2006... it just doesn't flow properly...

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
I don't get it, jeep signature is round headlamp (in addition to the "grill"), yet they remove it from these (if this is jeep) just like they did from grand cherokee and commander, but left it on (or added to) compass.
Don't forget the Patriot. I'd have to see one in person before I could really say whether or not I like it - thinking small Commander doesn't do anything for me and I can't get a sense of the lines on the one in the spy photos (which is why they put all that crap on there, right?). I DO NOT want a spare mounted under the tail on an off-road vehicle; that just screams to the rocks and branches "PUNCTURE ME". I agree with some other comments about having a truck-style tailgate with flip glass - that would be very practical and I think it would look cool. Guess I'l just have to wait until more photos are posted or I get a chance to see one at a dealer.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I they should do what Hummer does with the spare. You have the option of getting on the tailgate or in the interior. Personally, Im glad to get the spare off the back. I think that is the main issue of my rattling in the back door. I wouldnt mind it inside as long as it is put in a convenient place. As far as styling, I like the Commander styling, so cues from that will work for me. As long as its not a clone, like the H2 and H3.