2006 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kara Oxley

Reaction score
I took my 2006 Jeep liberty to a local mechanic as the ignition switch went out. Just had to share my pictures on how he helped me And he made his very own ignition switch! Only $400!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Kara Oxley

Reaction score
I took my 2006 Jeep liberty to a local mechanic as the ignition switch went out. Just had to share my pictures on how he helped me And he made his very own ignition switch! Only $400!

AND it cost $575.00 to repair the damage from the 1st mechanic. Can someone please give me some advice on whether I should go to BBB to get my $$ OR Small Claims Ct? Including car rental and the sterling column cover that I still have to order(from EBay), about $1100.
I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with BBB or small claims court. Sorry I cannot help there.

I just did this repair.

On craigslist under autoparts search "Liberty" and try to find someone parting out a liberty. Or call local junk yards. Tell them you need the steering column cover for a Liberty 02-07. You should be able to get 2 pieces of plastic that cover the steering column for about $20. Ask them to lull the ignition switch parts while they take it apart and buy those as extras. Steering column cover is a torx 25 i believe. Ignition parts an interference torx 20. If you have a friend that is a decent shade tree mechanic who is willing to watch a couple of you tube videos they can get you running again. Or watch those video's yourself and see if you feel like tackling this.

The part number to replace the part the person tried to hack together is doman 924-704. You can get at local auto shop for like around $50.

The mechanic you hired clearly did not read or study the ignition first and just started breaking stuff apart. Sorry about that.

RenKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The part is "ignition switch actuator Pin" , it plugs into the "Ignition Starter Switch". The part costs about 30-60 USD depending on manufacturer and a shade tree mechanic with a torx ***** driver can swap it out in about 20 mins.

No idea what this "mechanic" has done to your ride or why, it looks like he glued or epoxied the end together instead of swapping the part, if it fails again internally you will be back at square one and will need to replace it anyway

PS: the word " s c r e w " is censored on the forum now i guess ^

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to re-open mine. Jeep would not start, but this time it was the wires on the starter needing to be cleaned and re-connected. I did start looking at the ignition pin since I just replaced, but found it intact.

Anyway ... here are the correct torx -- what I wrote above is wrong.

Steering cover is a torx T20.

Once inside you need a interference torx 10.

Latest posts

Members online