2006 Liberty CRD Sport

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edwhite56

Reaction score
Bought a 2006 Liberty CRD about two years ago. It is my fourth one. In the last two years I have driven it a total of about 150 miles.....the rest of the time it has sat at my shop or at the Chrysler dealership in a nearby town. 120,000 miles when I bought it. Came in on a transport and didn't make it out of the Chrysler dealer parking lot before it quit. Filter head was loose and worn out. replaced it and thought OK......since then I personally, my Chrysler dealership friend (who I went to school with 40 years ago) and the very best diesel mechanic in the county .....have tried repeatedly to find a way to make it run after it warms up. Tried all the fixes. Every sensor, pickup pump, new computer, hoses, turbo waste gates, you name it we have done it....still does the same thing it did the day I bought it......runs pretty good till it warms up then acts as if it is getting way too much fuel or no air and dies. Black smoke so thick that you can't see the car behind you, if it runs well enough that day to move down the road. Knocking, clanking, dying. Used the Chrysler dealership "black box" code reader over and over....everything within parameters. Used the vinyl hose air test on inlet and outlet to the filter head....no air.
I have read post after post everywhere I could find and nothing to explain this. Hoping someone here can give me some info towards a fix.
Didn't pay a lot for it...but have put so much in it now that I can't let it go without losing money and my sanity. First car out of over 200 in my life that simply seems "unfixable".

Just to make sure everyone knows what all we have done.
New ECM
Checked all injectors.
All new sensors, common rail parts and pieces.
New alternator
New battery
New bypass valve on pump
Pickup pump in tank.
Cleaned EGR
Checked turbo, waste gate operation and all vacumn parts.
Someone before me had already installed new fuel line from tank.
Tested every parameter on the code reader and ran all tests.

About a week ago....my Chrysler buddy cleaned the EGR system....ran perfect for about 8 miles. I stopped, it started running rough and I started it about 25 times to make it back the 8 miles to his shop. Motor would rev quickly then die. Drop it in neutral, turn off the key and it would restart to run about 10-15 seconds then rev up and die. Finally though starting over and over and coasting down hills made it back to the first stop light in the town....where it continued to run...very poorly...enough to get in the shop parking lot. Sounded like it was coming completely apart. Same thing it has done over the last two years.
I am no excellent mechanic, but I drove an 88 Kenworth all over the US and kept it going. This little ******* makes no sense.

If anyone has any idea what is going on here...please respond.
thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a couple of guys on here that maybe able to help
OR
post over on LOSTJEEPS forum in the CRD section, whole group hang out there

edwhite56

Reaction score
There is a couple of guys on here that maybe able to help
OR
post over on LOSTJEEPS forum in the CRD section, whole group hang out there
Thanks...I am new to forums. This was my first post ever. So...Lost Jeeps is another forum? Similar to here?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
"Sounded like it was completely coming apart."?

No wastegate on the US model which has a variable vane turbo with a vaccuum controller.

Warm up and die isn't a normal problem for the CRD and there are many "normal problems" with the CRD. You didn't mention timing belt in your list. Any idea if it's ever been changed? The 2006 version is known to have wiring chafe behind the fuel filter bracket. Maybe there's an intermittent short there.

Sorry I don't have better guesses for you. Most of this engine's troubles don't reset after cooling down. LOSTJEEPS forum is the mother-lode of info on the 2.8 CRD. ID-PARTS has timing belt kits and other parts.

edwhite56

Reaction score
"Sounded like it was completely coming apart."?

No wastegate on the US model which has a variable vane turbo with a vaccuum controller.

Warm up and die isn't a normal problem for the CRD and there are many "normal problems" with the CRD. You didn't mention timing belt in your list. Any idea if it's ever been changed? The 2006 version is known to have wiring chafe behind the fuel filter bracket. Maybe there's an intermittent short there.

Sorry I don't have better guesses for you. Most of this engine's troubles don't reset after cooling down. LOSTJEEPS forum is the mother-lode of info on the 2.8 CRD. ID-PARTS has timing belt kits and other parts.
Thanks for the info....will check behind the filter bracket.....
Yes....warm up and die is not normal for any diesel...that is what is so crazy.
I don't know about the timing belt...but can that cause come and go problems? I don't see how that would work at all.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Timing belt is the primary cause of suicide for these engines. Only good for 100,000 miles or 6 years, installed. Water pump needs replacement at the same time since it isn't likely to last two belts. Some belts don't get tensioned properly and develop enough slack to skip timing and run poorly, or not at all. Not really a possibility in your case since it isn't likely to skip back into time.

I haven't heard of any CRD getting vapor lock from too much heat under the hood. My guesses lean toward electrical gremlins or a bad sensor. Sounds like you changed the cam and crank position sensors already. There's a fuel pressure sensor at the back of the fuel rail that can be jammed into the firewall if the engine is jacked up too high during engine mount replacement. Some sensors fail with heat.

edwhite56

Reaction score
I don't know about the timing belt...but can that cause come and go problems? I don't see how that would work at all.
Timing belt is the primary cause of suicide for these engines. Only good for 100,000 miles or 6 years, installed. Water pump needs replacement at the same time since it isn't likely to last two belts. Some belts don't get tensioned properly and develop enough slack to skip timing and run poorly, or not at all. Not really a possibility in your case since it isn't likely to skip back into time.

I haven't heard of any CRD getting vapor lock from too much heat under the hood. My guesses lean toward electrical gremlins or a bad sensor. Sounds like you changed the cam and crank position sensors already. There's a fuel pressure sensor at the back of the fuel rail that can be jammed into the firewall if the engine is jacked up too high during engine mount replacement. Some sensors fail with heat.
Hey....not sure if I am correctly posting or not here....but....after checking wiring behind fuel filter and a few other things....the little liberty started acting up again..knocking like crazy.....rough, rough idle.
So, I unplugged the fuel rail pressure sensor and it all smoothed out. Code reader I had went to 26,000 Lbs...which I suppose is some kind of default. I had replaced that sensor back a while ago. Checked the number on it and it crossed over as correct for Jeep Liberty CRD and some kind of Duramax diesel by GM. Anyway, I put the old one I had back in....also numbers checked out for Jeep Liberty CRD and Duramax and it purred like a kitten. Drove it around for a while and ran and idled great. Will check it again tomorrow when the weather is warmer. Hope the black smoke stops. Maybe the new sensor was bad? Who knows. Will try to post again tomorrow after I try it out again.
Thanks to all who replied.

Steve777

Reaction score
Did you replace (and/or clean) the MAP sensor, the one in the intake manifold. They can get clogged/sooted up. If not I would give that a try.

Otherwise the folks on the Lostjeeps CRD forum are very knowledgeable.

edwhite56

Reaction score
Yes...I cleaned and replaced it....however.... a few days ago..per my earlier post....out of sheer desperation...I unplugged the fuel rail pressure sensor, which I had replaced earlier and the engine instantly straightened out and ran fine. I checked the sensor and the numbers said it was correct....so I put the old one back in and have been driving it now for about a week and a half...with no shutdown. Still smokes a bit and has trouble heating up...but considering where I was...it is a miracle.

Latest posts

Members online